Where is all the native wildlife...?


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand
November 4th 2016
Published: November 4th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Left Kaikoura in glorious sunshine after another visit to the seal colony and a few more photos from the peninsula looking in land.

We then gave Richard a good confidence boosting talk, telling him the HGVS were just bullying him and jealous of his classy Mercedes qualities... it seemed to work as we sailed through to Blenheim and on to Picton. It was a stunning drive as the road hugs the coast for much of the way. Endless turquoise sea, rocky outcrops, sandy coves and snow capped mountains. Just beautiful.

Walked this morning through native bush close to Picton Harbour and Queen Charlotte Sound, heard a few birds but saw (again) blackbirds, chaffinch, sparrows and house martins... limited nz wildlife. So this afternoon we took to the water, taking a trip on the mail boat, delivering to various residential properties around Queen Charlotte Sound. On our trip we saw a small number of dusky dolphins and two or three little blue penguins.... a bit disappointing given we were our on the water for about 5 hours....! Nevertheless the trip was interesting, taking us out through the Tory Channel to the Cook Straight. Then back and around to Ship Cove which is famous for the landing and camp site for Captain Cook on four occasions (and also the site at which he raised the British flag). Interestingly the next Cove is called Cannibal Cove... but we didn't venture there.

Richard is settled for his second night in Picton, but tomorrow we head out along Queen Charlotte Drive towards Havelock and Nelson. Not sure where we will stop... wait and see how the mood takes us!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



4th November 2016

wildlife
The native wildlife heard you two were coming!
4th November 2016
Queen Charlotte Sound

Queen Charlotte's sound
What wonderful colours! Were the birds that are similar ours in the U.K imported or are also native to New Zealand?

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb