Back to civilisation in NZ


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand
August 22nd 2009
Published: September 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Leaving ChristchurchLeaving ChristchurchLeaving Christchurch

this was the coolest looking sun rise I´ve ever seen
Christchurch was a shock to us after our time in Asia and in the wilderness in Aussie! We arived on a Saturday night and went out for a few drinks to get a look at the town. The place was hopping and in full swing by the time we got out. We wanted a quite bar to chill in but all we could find was an Irish bar where we could barely hear eachother, all the same it was better than a club.
It was your typical pub atmosphere; women dolled up with makeup: men messin around and everyone pissed. Same as any city on a Saturday but we ended up sitting in a corner having a few pints trying to get our heads around the whole thing.
It all just seemed so alien to us having not been out in a normal pub for so many months. We were used to seats, loads of space and out doors where you can smoke, and table service so you dont have to wait at the bar for 10 minutes for a drink! I dont think people drink the same way in asia either because its not a 2 nights a week novilty.

It didn´t take us long to get used to it though, we were out three nights in a row in Christchurch before we moved on to Welington to meet up with a few friends. Seen as our friends in Welley were leaving their jobs and moving we pretty much partied there for 3 nights straight. Welley is mad all the bars in town were packed on a Tuesday night and it was going off!! There were topless people (men unfourtunatly) dancing on tables....
We did manage to get in some culture one of the days; we went to "Te Papa". Which is probably the best museum I have ever been in! It is mainly devoted to the Maori culture but has loads of interesting stuff to look at. There are loads of interactive features to mess with but we didn´t get much of a chance because there was a school tour their using al the stuff. We waited 5 minuted to get in to the house that simulates an earthquake. They have a giant squid there too preserved, its 9 meters long I think, think the alien from "aliens" and thats pretty much it. After that we went to one of the beer brewerys to taste the local beers; essential culture.

Next stop was up to my cousin in Ohakune to Snowboard on Mt. Ruapehu for a few days. The weather was bad the first few days but we went up anyway and got soaked in the rain! Thankfully we got a perfect day for our last day and we all had a ball. Lots of drinking was done too as on any snow holiday 😉

On our way to Auckland we stopped in Rotarua for a night to see some more culture and a little fun in New Zealands idea of a fun park. Check out the "Agrodome" in New Zealand, home of Zorbing.

We met up in Auckland for one more big party with friends, a sizeable session insued and we were in a bad way getting on the plane but we did make it with no trouble from customs, police of flight staff 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

jet boat...jet boat...
jet boat...

...why not.
same shirt same cutsame shirt same cut
same shirt same cut

I´m likin this no hassle hair


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb