"And Then We…": The Entire of New Zealand in Four Weeks


Advertisement
Oceania » New Zealand
March 6th 2008
Published: March 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Auckland - Waiheke Island - Cathederal Cove - Hot Water Beach - Whangamata - Wentworth Valley - Wainui River - Tauranga - Rotorua - Waikite Valley - Orakei Korako - Tongariro National Park - Wanganui - Upper Hutt - Wellington - Martinborough - Wellington - Picton - Motueka - Saint Arnaud (Kerr’s Bay) - Kaikoura - Sheffield (the best pies in NZ!) - Arthur’s Pass - Hokitika - Franz Josef Glacier... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Porridge River, Fox GlacierPorridge River, Fox Glacier
Porridge River, Fox Glacier

Glacier's also ooze porridge which would be great but it's cold so you need to microwave it for a few minutes before you top it with dried fruit and sugar... Mmm. Put some figs in it.
Reflection Lake, ekaL noitcelfeRReflection Lake, ekaL noitcelfeR
Reflection Lake, ekaL noitcelfeR

Man, I am one clever dude.
Some Lake Somewhere on the way to QueenstownSome Lake Somewhere on the way to Queenstown
Some Lake Somewhere on the way to Queenstown

We met some Germans here, having followed them for two days. They were scared of us but we didn't care because all they did the night before was stare at our dinner. It all sounds weird and complicated but it's not.
QueenstownQueenstown
Queenstown

The mountains in the background are the Remarkables, so called because they were discovered by a bloke who thought they were remarkable and was also coincidentally called Mr Remarkable. Hey - isn't everything remarkable? Take figs for example - you could remark on them, right? So doesn't that make them remarkable? I can't imagine ever not being able to remark on something... except maybe air - I rarely remark on the air.
Thick Mossy Trees and WaterfallsThick Mossy Trees and Waterfalls
Thick Mossy Trees and Waterfalls

Cripes it's dramatic around here. They should like totally shoot some sort of Fantasy movie here with elves and goblins and stuff. I think it'd really work.
SEALS!! SEALS!!
SEALS!!

Control yourself!! In NZ these boys are like NSYNC or somesuch likey thing. Stand back while they rock the mike. Psych.
The Sound that is not a Sound...The Sound that is not a Sound...
The Sound that is not a Sound...

Milford Sound is actually not a sound, it's a fjord. However, because it was discovered by a Welshman who spent much of his time on Merseyside and thought the place was "sound as a pound", it got it's name. What sort of a word is FJORD anyway? Its like typing fast and accidentally inserting consonants where they're not needed.
Kea, Milford SoundKea, Milford Sound
Kea, Milford Sound

These little buggers eat cars. They wait at traffic lights until the traffic haults and then attack the rubber seals round the windows. You're not allowed to eat them back. They're "endangered". Probably on account of they're diet - but then again, there's a bloke in Russia who eats bicycles and light bulbs and he's still alive. Maybe. He was on Record Breakers and to be honest I haven't heard any news of his status in a while so he could be dead. Lets say alive for arguments sake.
Good Height for a SignGood Height for a Sign
Good Height for a Sign

(If you do ever go here, watch out for the mud on the sign. Don't hug it overly tenderly like I did. Muddy mud mud.)
Rocks in the Water - No Ships AllowedRocks in the Water - No Ships Allowed
Rocks in the Water - No Ships Allowed

... unless your ship is a canoe and you can take on some hefty SEALS. I think this is at Nugget Point but I'm too lazy to check. Lets just say it is Nugget Point. Nice place, great rocks, lovely lighthouse, seals and drizzle. That's another comment nailed.
Headless PenguinHeadless Penguin
Headless Penguin

These guys are brilliant. They're free and they're alive - that's all I'm telling you so you can't find them and spoil it for all the tourists.
Roger the Train, OamaruRoger the Train, Oamaru
Roger the Train, Oamaru

I mean, really - who calls a train Roger. That's a train drivers name or a pilots name or the Cabin Boy in Captain Pugwash - not a trains name. Jesus I'm bored. Can I stop writing comments now.
1950's Oamaru1950's Oamaru
1950's Oamaru

My favourite street in New Zealand is in Oamaru. Legend has it that the fig traders from Buffalo came here in 1642 and settled the area before Captain Cook even issued his first sneeze. Naturally that legend is made up - but it's all I've got.
Oamaru BookshopOamaru Bookshop
Oamaru Bookshop

Right - this is my last mention of figs. There you go. That was it. Now I'm off for lunch. Vik's made sandwiches and I am starving. I really hope she's put some cucumber in them. I like cucumber with cheese... oh and although we don't have any mayo, a nice big dollop would be good. Perhaps I'll imagine mayo as I take a bite...
Token picture of ChristchurchToken picture of Christchurch
Token picture of Christchurch

Trams, buildings, seals, telephone boxes... yada yada...



16th March 2008

whale watch...
Glad you managed to get to see the whales at Kaikoura. we tried three times and each time the sailing was cancelled due to 'extreme weather' of bright clear sunshine resulting in very calm seas. For this read 'the tour wasn't sold out so lets wait til the next one does before we chuck a boat out! Also as I recall it peed down when we went to Milford Sound too...... I see a pattern forming. BTW - mental.... but Swaino has left a comment for you on our blog. Enjoy yourselves - its later than you think. Sxxx.
16th March 2008

Whales
Shaz failed to mention that the closest we got to whales was Albany, Australia. That's where they used to kill them and chop them up. See - we don't all want to swim with dolphins. Still enjoying your adventures. Alan.
19th March 2008

Young cows
Think Joan's hypothesis has to be revised - would appear that there are relatively young cows over here as well.....suppose they could have come over on the plane.....didn't notice...

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb