Skiing Mount Hutt


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
July 26th 2006
Published: August 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Yippee yippee yippee today is ski day! We set out to Big Al's ski hire in Methven and then drive up to Mount Hutt slopes. The ice on the road is horrendous and we skid a bit. There is no barrier along the side of the mountain which makes it an even scarier drive. Emily is in first gear all the way up (22k!) and even the shuttle bus overtakes me, but i'd rather get there in one piece. An hour later and we are there. Emma goes off for her introductory snowboarding lesson and Emily and Chris get on the chair-lift to the summit with skiis on. It is absolutely beautiful weather - the sun is out and factor 30 is required! Chris ploughs straight down the mountain. He is fearless. Emily uses the entire side of the mountain to weave her way down! The whole day is spent skiing and stopping for food/drinks every so often. Perfect. Emma doesn't like snowboarding so ditches the lesson and sunbathes instead. Emily eventually makes it down a black run. Or should i say 'bleck'.

Back in Methven we clean out the van (after 3 days u wouldnt believe the mess...!) and Emma drives us to Timaru and then onto Lake Tekapo. Emily sits in the back with a beer and looks at the millions of beautiful stars. Wow. We arrive at Lake Tekapo in the pitch darkness so can't see a thing. Hot choccie with marshmallows and then sleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb