Regal Queenstown


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
March 18th 2013
Published: March 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The drive to Queenstown from Te Anau was very scenic. In Queenstown we had our first experience of “airbnb”. We had booked accommodation via the internet through this site in a private home and it proved to be a great choice. We had super views of The Remarkables mountain range and also Lake Wakatipu. Our room was very comfortable and our hosts were very friendly.

The ride on the gondola cable car up the mountain the following morning was exciting and we enjoyed a birds eye view of Queensland and surrounding mountains. The loop walk through the pine forest was a nice way to cool off in the shade of the trees. In the afternoon we went to Glenorchy and the scenery was stunning yet again. Our walk along the lakeside and also towards the lagoon were very enjoyable and it was very peaceful. There were some misty scenes as the wind carried fine dust particles from dry areas affected by the lack of rainfall. On the way back to Queenstown we saw a falcon and then there was a magnificent sunset.

The next day we visited Arrowtown. This colonial town that grew up with the gold rush was very interesting. The museum was excellent and highlighted the early settlers who lived and worked in the town and the hardships they faced. The old Chinese settlement was also interesting. After we had a wonderful walk around nearby Hayes Lake for 2 hours. We saw some shelducks, cormorants and Australian Grebes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



18th March 2013

Airbnb
So glad you've tried Airbnb - I rave about it and like to use it as first choice whenever we can. In fact on Friday we fly to Hobart and are staying at an Airbnb place at Sandy Bay which looks great - looking forward to that. You'll maybe be interested to know that I once went horseriding on the slopes around Queenstown. As you can imagine that was many years ago but I don't think I've got the 'dare-devil' for it now. Some things are best left to youth unless you are doing it all the time!! M xx

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb