Magnificent Milford Sound


Advertisement
Published: March 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Our drive from Dunedin to Te Anau was very picturesque. We stopped at Gore to stretch our legs and relax for a while. We liked the unusual trout statue in the centre of town and some of the older buildings including a large industrial building. We arrived at our Lakeside Motel in Te Anau mid afternoon and had time for a nice walk by the lakeside before nightfall. The next day was a day we had been looking forward to, our journey to Milford Sound.

Amazing, incredible, awesome – were just a few of the adjectives to describe the scenery en route from Te Anau to Milford Sound. Te Anau itself has beautiful scenery but the 121km drive to Milford Sound was really special – lakes, mountains and alpine rivers.

We stopped at Mirror Lakes which had beautiful reflections of the surrounding scenery. After the Homer Tunnel we had spectacular views of the Cleddau Valley. At the Chasm, a short walk from the road the river drops rapidly through unusual rock formations.

Our cruise on Milford Sound a 16km long fiord was an unforgettable experience. We saw mountain peaks, including Mitre Peak (1692m) and the Bowen and Stirling waterfalls. Fur seals rested on the rocks and we were lucky to see 3 Fiordland Crested Penguins. On our return journey we saw a Kea bird and enjoyed the evening sunshine to end a wonderful day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



3rd March 2013

Superlative Scenery!
I remember the last time that Kev & I did the drive you've just done. We almost get to the point of getting sick of hearing ourselves raving on about the gorgeous, incredible, beautiful, picturesque, breathtaking scenery. It really is that magical...so glad that you enjoyed it and shared your fantastic photos! M xx

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 15; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb