Akaroa


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
January 28th 2013
Published: January 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

27.1.2013

Had a wonderful day in Dunedin, after seeing a few of the local sites got a taxi out of town and had a yummy seafood Lunch at Carey's Bay Hotel, just a little further out of Port Chalmers, a reallygorgeous old stone hotel perched on the edge of the water overlooking an old wharf, sat there for a couple of hours enjoying a nice drop of New Zealand Pinot Noir. The taxi driver wanted to give us a discount as she enjoyed our company (very friendly people in these parts) but we gave her a tip instead she was so nice. Wemeandered back to the ship for a 530pm sail to akaroa. 26 degrees unbelievably great weather. Who said New Zealand was the land of the long white cloud and the weather was crappy!!

28.1.2013

Akaroa - another gorgeous day 25 degrees - this is a very picturesque town - could spend a week here - veryFrench. It's 83 km from Christchurch - ships used to dock at Lyttelton prior to earthquake - we took a bus tour into Christchurch. The devastation here is unreal - a lot of the buildings have not been rebuilt but there are still a lot of lovely buildings still standing too. The gardens etc were very pretty and in full bloom - had a good look around christchurch and then out to the Waimakiriri River for jetboating - that was loads of fun - our driver was very kind to us though. We did look all like drowned rats when we got back to the bus. This river is very fast flowing and comes down from the Great Southern Alps. All in all another great day - then for the one and half hour bus ride back to Akaroa - up hill and down dale - The banks peninsula is very hilly with lots of pretty bays and coves. Into Akaroa to get the last tender at 5.00pmj - this is only port where we have to get tenders back to the ship. Back on board to deck 14 for a refreshing ale and wave goodbye to Akaroad. Dinner at 800pm with our crew to discuss our days adventures - we sit with the same people each night - Wendy and vic from Greensborough, John from Narre Warren and Trevor from Daylesford -great fun they are!! Our age too - there are a lot of oldies on this cruise.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0188s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb