Franz Josef


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
May 13th 2011
Published: May 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

On 12th April we got up early to go do the glacier climb, we decided to do the full day, we had a really good day weather was prefect really clear and sunny. Was the most amazing thing I had done in New Zealand so far, was spent about 2 and half hours climbing up the glacier to the lunch stop point, was so hard to walk on, had loads of crevasses we had to squeeze through and climb over and ice caves to walk through, was amazing. The guide walks in front and literally cuts a walk way into the ice, making ice stairs to get you over the crevasses and down the other side or just make sure the ground is safe, in some places there is nothing underneath you just a layer of ice. On the way back down one part of the ground just fell away and the guides had to make a completely new floor, was crazy! We had loads of equipment and clothes we had to take, we had crampons on our boots so we could grip onto the ice and also had loads of layers of clothes we had to take with us though it was so hot that we didn’t even wear any of it! Was such a prefect amazing day! That night we went to the pub for a well deserved pint!



Additional photos below
Photos: 100, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0259s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb