Epic Adventure, Episode 2: "Glah-see-ays"


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
December 3rd 2010
Published: December 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Kaitlin awoke to the varied songs of a multitude of rainforest birds and the sunlights filtering through the window. She walked down to the reception desk to make a reservation to hike on Franz Josef Glacier. Alas!! They had no spots open for that day. Sadly, Kaitlin had a long, leisurely breakfast, met up with sunny, and the two drove to the visitor parking lot of Franz Josef Glacier--Kaitlin would have to settle for a free view of the glacier from the base of the rainforest. An hour’s hike led her to the base of the Glacier, where she could marvel at the blue color of the millions-of-years-old ice that had once carved up the rocks upon which she now stood. But, like Kaitlin’s aging father’s hairline, the glacier had receded over time (love you, Dad!!)

After an half-hour view, Kaitlin trekked back to Sunny, then the two pals went on their way to the viewpoint by Fox Glacier--just a 20-minute drive. The trail from the carpark to the actual viewpoint was like being in a wild jungle, and Kaitlin felt like a dinosaur would pop up around the next corner! Indeed, Kaitlin caught a Kait-o-saurus lurking across the path!! She was scared, but kept going--and the view was worth it.

Merrily, Kaitlin and Sunny made their way to their next destination: Wanaka. It was quite a drive, with winding roads continuing and Sunny groaning the whole way---in fact, Sunny developed some creaky joints, but she hung in there. The drive to Wanaka was the most beautiful stretch of mountainous landscape Kaitlin had ever seen. Mount Aspiring Nation Park had wonders abounding. Kaitlin stopped at hidden waterfalls, rocky rivers, the precious Blue Pools, and the multitude of breathtaking views of Mount Aspiring. Along the way, Kaitlin and ten-second timer became even closer.

When Kaitlin found herself outside Wanaka, the immensity of the glacial lakes and surrounding mountains gripped her and made her never want to leave! The bluest blue of the glacial lakes, the rugged craggy peaks of the mountains, they way the sunlight played off of the colors and contours of it all--nothing could ever compare. Kaitlin arrived in Wanaka at 8:45 and, after a change of clothes, headed down to the bar. She met others her age from the U.K., Slovenia, America and Australia. Everyone was so nice and they all had a great evening chatting over a few beers.

Kaitlin climbed into bed, eager to start her canyoning adventure the next day. What wonders would she find tomorrow?...


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.043s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb