The Epic Journey: Episode I


Advertisement
Published: November 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

THE EPIC JOURNEY
By Kaitlin Arntz

Starring: Sunny Nissan
10-Second Timer
Me

Chapter 1: Christchurch, Across Arthur’s Pass, Punakaiki and Winding Roads

It all started with a girl, a cheap and cheerful car, and a fabulous camera. The girl drove Sunny to Christchurch, where she saw an amazing exhibit of scarily-real sculptures of humans in all forms. After the quaint charm of Christchurch, Kaitlin had only one more thing left to do in preparation for her epic journey across South Island: buy a jug of water and a loaf of bread (to complement her leftover cereal and half-jar of crunchy peanut butter). These would serve as her meals for the day.

Food in passenger seat, Sunny and Kaitlin began to steadily climb into Arthur’s Pass. The journey beheld many wonders, including massive boulders straight out of Middle Earth. Kaitlin climbed up the hill and played on the Boulders. It was this time when Kaitlin met and became very good friends with 10-second timer on Cassio Camera. They now have an excellent working relationship. Sunny whined as she wined through the gentle curving roads, as Kaitlin marveled at each sudden spectacular view beyond the next mountain corner. At lunch time, the weather turned slightly rainy. Kaitlin was slightly nervous about driving on the “wrong” side of the road in rainy conditions, but Sunny kept chugging along without a hitch--such a good sport. At lunch time, Sunny parked at the information center in the town of Arthur’s Pass, where Kaitlin found information on a local hike up to a waterfall---Devil’s Bowl, or something like that. It was a pleasant trek, despite the rain, and Kaitlin was glad to be getting so much exercise in one day. The sun emerged as Kaitlin reached the Western part of the Pass, framing the stunning blue glacial rivers and immense mountains in buttercup light.

Sunny reached the far point of Arthur’s Pass, and, against Sunny’s warning, Kaitlin decided to head north up the West Coast to Punakaiki and the Pancake Rocks. The terrain quickly turned from green alpine to something out of Jurassic Park. Sunny groaned as Kaitlin steered her along precariously steep mountain roads lined on one side by lush coastal rainforests and on the other by breaking waves. After a breathtaking ride through this wild terrain, Kaitlin reached the Pancake Rocks, where she marveled at the unique formations compiled over millions of years.

Kaitlin suddenly realized how late it was getting, so she rushed back into Sunny’s doors and pushed the poor little car harder than ever, winding back South to Franz Josef. Along the way, Kaitlin and Sunny very sadly had to drive through Greymouth--a town which had, 3 days before, experienced the tragic death of 28 miners, due to a methane gas explosion. But the two comrades were soon on their way. The land leveled out and became a thick rainforest, as the sky darkened. Kaitlin was very nervous that she wouldn’t make it to check-in on time, as she had to be at the Franz Josef backpacker by 10:00--it was going to be a close call. Darkness fell over the land, fog emerged and sandflies crowded the air--and the roads became windier as Sunny made her way towards Franz Josef. Kaitlin was scared to death--the fog, bugs and lack of streetlights made it difficult to see where Sunny was going. Finally, Kaitlin and Sunny made it to Franz Josef, but after getting lost and going 20 minutes out of their way. It was 10:13. Kaitlin didn’t know what she would do. Would she have to sleep in her car?! Thankfully, the kitchen door to the hostel was open, and Kaitlin’s key was taped to the reception desk. Relieved and exhausted, Kaitlin fell into bed, anxious to climb the glacier the next day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



29th November 2010
CIMG0250

Cool photo
i havent even been to half those places yet, and i live in NZ hahha ooops , one day :)
3rd December 2010
CIMG0250

Definitely my most favorite picture out of every single one on here. Hands down. Miss you wayyyyy too much. Have fun over the next week. Can't wait to see you

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb