Day 292-294: Karamea, New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
November 16th 2009
Published: November 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Saturday, November 14th


We woke the morning very eager and continued working on the van. Neither of us had done this kind of thing before, so found it hard to make decisions. What’s right and what’s wrong? Common sense seemed to be our only guide. Also, in theory everything is easy. In practice, however, it’s really hard. For example, it’s impossible to cut a straight line with a jigsaw. We got a few tips from the net, but they didn’t help because the moment the blade got hot it would start veering off course. Hence we made much slower progress than we had originally anticipated (it’s always like that, isn’t it?). We spent most of our time thinking, planning, eyeballing and thinking some more.

We managed to make some progress and there was no rain to slow us down either. By the end of the day it appeared as if we’d gone backwards. Our van was once more stripped out and naked in the back. We had a shower and drove over to the Guppy’s place. They’re going away for two weeks and we’ll be bus-sitting for them starting Monday. Their entire place runs on solar power (with a petrol generator for those cloudy days) and they have a lot of veggie plants and a couple of chickens that needs looking after. We need a place to stay, so it’s a win win situation. Dave took us on a tour while Talita took careful notes of all our duties. He started by showing us the gardens, followed by the composting toilet and recycling. We enjoyed delicious homemade pizza and a few beers and then Dave showed us how the electrics work. It’s a little complicated, but once you get your head around it, it’s not too hard.

We returned home, our bellies at the bursting point. We couldn’t wait to move in. The independent way they live really attracts us. Now we’ll get to live and run an independent household and see how it all works.

Today’s highlights:
1. Learning new ways of independent living.
2. Great dinner at the Guppy place.

Sunday, November 15th


We woke to a rainy, storming morning. Over the last few days we’d gotten the sinking feeling that the plywood we’d chosen was too thin. Looking at pictures of our Escape van confirmed it. We felt very depressed. We felt like failures and like we’d wasted a lot of money. Bruce sent and email with pictures of his son. Talita replied and told him about our predicament. Before we knew it Bruce and Paddy was on our doorstep with a solution. Paddy needed 7mm ply and we needed 12mm ply. He had four 12mm sheets and we had 7mm sheets. A trade was agreed upon. That helped, but didn’t make us feel less like failures.

Paddy and Bruce spent the morning with us and Talita made some tasty spuds and beans for lunch. When they left we started packing because tonight was our last day at the holiday park. We dropped off a bunch of stuff at the Guppy place, then drove to Paddy’s to exchange the ply.

Back home we got into a fight about priorities, the blog versus the design of the van. We were both just exhausted and annoyed at our failure, so tempers flared. We went to bed in cold war status. Very childish, but there’s no reasoning with exhausted and frustrated people.

Today’s highlights:
1. Getting the ply exchanged.

Monday, November 16th


We made peace over breakfast, packed the rest of our belongings,
The throneThe throneThe throne

Composting toilets are a new thing for us. It's much much better than a long-drop!
and drove over to our home for the next two weeks. While unpacking we realized just how quickly we accumulated stuff. When we arrive in NZ we had only our backpacks. Now we have a van, a chainsaw, various power tools and countless other things. It’s crazy!

With an empty van we drove in the direction of Paddy’s place. We met Bruce next to the road and we set off for Westport. At the Mitre 10 we got more 12mm ply and a few more things we’d need. We then picked up some mirrors for Paddy, got Talita her very own Swiss Army Knife, got a few more supplies, had fish and chips for lunch, got Ferdi a cheap fishing rod, filled up with diesel, picked up some special breads for Paddy and drove back to Karamea.

Late in the afternoon we arrived back at Paddy’s where we dropped off Bruce, delivered Paddy’s bread and mirrors, then drove home. We unpacked the van and made ourselves at home. While Ferdi played guitar and did typing Talita started baking rusks for the first time in her life. It was also her first time using a gas oven. We were both holding our thumbs. We just love rusks!

Deborah had left some pizza in the oven for us so we didn’t have to make dinner. Soon the bus was filled with the smell of baking rusks! Mmmm… yummy! After a shower Talita smelled something burning. A part of the rusks were a little burnt but it was nothing major.

Today’s highlights:
1. Moving into our new home for the next 2 weeks.
2. Talita’s first Swiss Army Knife (It’s got a saw blade and everything you need!)
3. Baking rusks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Early morning bus interiorEarly morning bus interior
Early morning bus interior

Talita still snoozing away


17th November 2009

Woodwork
Julle moenie te krities wees met julle houtwerk nie, julle is mos in die leer proses, en julle doen alreeds baie beter as die ANC Youth Leader Julius Malema. Ou Julius het mos 'n GG in houtwerk gekry in matriek. http://www.sowetan.co.za/Images/malemaresultsa.jpg Sterkte met die projek, julle gaan daai van nog mooi oordoen.

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb