Nz Part 2


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
October 10th 2009
Published: October 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Now onto the South Island.

As with the Noth Island I won't be able to describe how cool it was so I will limit my words and just attach a bunch of photos so you can see for yourself why Nz is an awesome place to visit.

The south Island has all the beauty the North Island does, but the south Island is a little more extreme. Driving from one city centre to another takes along time because of the whindy roads that track through the mountains, forests and avalanche prone areas of the South Island.

Keeping with the extreme theme, the south island is home to a few more extreme activities than the North Island. On the South Island I was able to take a 4 hour hike through tropical forest and mountainous terrain to climb the terminal face of a glacier. Some of the other fun and crazy things you can do on the south Island is visit Milfred Sound and spend the evening anchored in a quiet bay ten minutes from port. In Milford I was also able to do a bit of kayaking around some rock beaches where I saw the worlds second most rare penguin (Didn't have my camera though), and Oh yeah you can go for a dip in this ocean/Glacier fed sound, I wouldn't recommend it though because it was very cold!!!!!!!! The South Island has something for everyone from the beauty of nature to the famous locations where Lord of the Rings was shot. But the definite highlight of the South Island is Queenstown. In Queenstown everything is extreme, I went skydiving from 12,000 and was able to float through a thick cloud cover. I went bungy jumping from 134 metres (402 feet or so) from a platform suspended in the middle of a canyon. Oh yeah that was all in about a 5 hour span. Then the next day I decided to take it easy and go White Water rafting and take a bit of a drive on one of Nz's most dangerous roads (if you rent a car from Q'town it specifically says that you can't drive on this road b/c your insurance won't cover it), it's so dangerous because it's a single lane dirt road that has a 300 drop to the right with no shoulder or guard rails. Then if you're not to tired after all that fun stuff you can do what I did and go on the weekly wednesday night pub crawl (There is a pubcrawl at least 4 nights of the week)

So as I said before, the South island is just as beautiful as the north island, it's just a bit more extreme.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb