from Christchurch to Geraldine


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
December 4th 2005
Published: December 4th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Details of the Geraldine area for your use to find where to go, what to do, etc.:
Cross the Rangitata River and turn right on Route 79 to get to the town of Geraldine. Not too far after the turnoff on the right is the Tin Shed dealing in New Zealand wool products. For an adventure you might want to go to Peel Forest just beyond where the "Lord of the Rings" Middle Earth was filmed.(four wheel drives available out of Geraldine). The river also has a worldwide reputation for salmon fishing.
Geraldine itself can boast many artists, craftsmen and wonderful shops. Be sure to visit what Paula and I feel is one of New Zealand's top artists, Peter Jean Caley.
Caley Art

The Maori paintings on display are definitely museum class recently having showed in Dubai and soon in the USA. In fact in 2006 the $6 million exhibit, now on display in Geraldine, will be touring the USA for six months. If you have that kind of money this is an investment that will skyrocket when that happens.
A small shopping centre, Berry Barn Complex, of artists is at the south end of town just before you get to the Holiday Park right in town. The community is a wonderful place to hang out for the day. Make sure to have a meal or a coffee or both at the EasyWay cafe. One of the top eateries in the South Island in our opinion. Usually have music on Friday nights.

Leaving Geraldine west on Route 79 it is now time to explore one of the most dramatic areas of scenery, that will take your breath away, the Mackenzie Country. Depending on the time of day we enjoy stopping by the Farm Barn along the way for a bite to eat. The road you turn into to get to the Farm Barn goes on to a wonderful small lake created by the dammed up Opuha River not even on maps. We have spent a night there in the bus. Lots of space and frequented by the locals. It is about a two-hour drive to Lake Tekapo from here.

If you choose to continue south instead from Geraldine take the road south to Winchester on Route One instead of Route 79 and continue on. It is 7ms to Temuku and 36kms to Timaru.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0229s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb