south of Christchurch to Ashburton


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
December 1st 2005
Published: December 2nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Salmon - King of Rakaia RiverSalmon - King of Rakaia RiverSalmon - King of Rakaia River

One of the top areas in th world for salmon fishing


Cruising on south an hour's drive from Christchurch is the Ashburton District. You have two highway choices staying on Route One or the scenic inland Route 72. Lake Hood is but five minutes from Ashburton where the annual Aquafest is held each February. Wheels Week every May is a celebration to the heritage attractions in the area such as the Vintage Car Museum Aviation Museum and the Historical Village.
Rakaia is known for its world class salmon fishing on the Rakaia River. From November to March people from all over enjoy positive results. If you are there in February maybe you can join in the annual Rakaia Fishing Competition.


From The Rakaia River it is 28 kms to Ashburton. A very large Alpaca Farm is just on the right after the Rakaia River. Alpaca farming has become quite prevalent in New Zealand, as you will note along many of the routes you are on. Haven't checked but this farm seems to be the largest.

Speaking of farming by now you must have taken notice of the amount of sheep in the fields. I just read in the paper where New Zealand had 40 million ewes and a lamb count of 123%. That's a lot of sheep. Ashburton celebrates a fine wine and food festival called the Wooly Munchie in January in celebration of one of New Zealand's finest productions.

The best place to stop in Ashburton for coffee and a meal is the 'Lunch' cafe off the main street at 160 Burnett Street. Will match any cafe in any city for its ambience, staff, fine food and coffee. (Try the lemon meringue pie).
The town also has a beautiful Domain on the road to Timaru where we occasionally stop for a break in the peaceful setting.

Fifteen kms south of Ashburton we turn off to one of our favourite towns in the South Island, Geraldine.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb