The Catlins


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
February 13th 2008
Published: February 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Date visited: 9-10th February

The southern most easterly area of the South Island known as the Catlins is abound with yet more endangered and protected wildlife including yellow eyed penguines, dolphins and rare birds. Seeing as we were ahead of schedule on our itinerary we thought we would linger here and explore a few of the walks, view points, beaches (sealions included) waterfalls, cathedral caves and blow holes. All these were to be found off the 'Southern scenic Highway'.

Luckily we found a most homely and very nicely furnished lodge where we enjoyed our stay for a couple of nights. The garden itself was paradise just to enjoy an afternoon cuppa in the sun and to comfort your feet on the soft spongy grass. The 'hostel' - although this was more a self catering home-stay was nestled in a valley where we both managed to find a local run to keep up our exercise and to hear the Tui's oncemore singing in the trees. Although it was a bit of a drive to the highway where most of the 'attractions' were based, you felt nicely away from it all.

Our room was a twin which was all what was available. The two bunkbeds were knackered and the spare bed not much better. I opted for the bottom bunk, Ben the spare. He joked later in the day on an after-thought that knowing my luck a fat whale of a tourist would turn up taking the top bunk and flattenning me in the process.

I laughed it off.

As fate would decide we heard a knock on the door late afternoon as it happenned this gigantic Swiss lady walked through the door. It was a massive challenge not to crease my face.

Anyway! we still find this funny even now. And you have probably guessed the rest - we let her take the spare bed for safety reasons!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

3 tiered waterfall3 tiered waterfall
3 tiered waterfall

yep another one!
On a walk in the catlinsOn a walk in the catlins
On a walk in the catlins

pink potty attached! ( The pink shopping bag ben had sat on in the car had decided to remain with him on the walk - unbeknownst to him!)
An ancient forestAn ancient forest
An ancient forest

These 'rocks' you see now used to be, believe it or not remnants of a forest (tree stumps still visible at low tide though now turned to stone from erosion by the sea). This is one of the world's best examples of a Jurassic-aged forest.
Not sure what these are!Not sure what these are!
Not sure what these are!

But they are big and they pissed on me.


2nd March 2008

Sealions
Running towards such animals is not a good idea... arnt they vicious??

Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb