The Otago Peninsula


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Otago
February 13th 2008
Published: February 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Dunedin to the Otago Peninsula


Date visited: Approx 6-8th February

Known as a nature's paradise on the doorstep to Dunedin we took the opportunity to check out this area for a couple of days known for its Albatross and Penguine birdlife and seals.

The road zig-zagged from the city following the lovely bays and colourful boats on the way to the end of the peninsula. Our hostel was at the rear of a working farm which had amazing views of the bays and estuary as it was perched on a hill. This was a fab place to stay so we could enjoy the quaint Peninsula whilst still be able to visit Dunedin on a day trip.

We enjoyed a nice evening meal here all alone - the first time we have booked a hostel with no one else there to share the house! I cooked another 'gourmet meal' which we nibbled through on the picnic bench outside. By total chance, we shared the hostel the following evening with a group of staff from the 'Penguine Place' next door. These guys arrange tours to see the things though we resisted due to budgetary contraints! One guy in the group, only my age, hunted Deer, fish you name it in their hundreds and thousands and was kind enough to offer us some of his wild vennison which was absolutely gorgeous. Another handy advantage from their evening visit was recommending us a place to see the penguines at night when they come into their nests from the sea. On that very night we got to the beach with a handful of others at 10 pm and tip-toed around quietly before we saw the first few waddle in from the beach. It was an amazing sight. We probably saw about 10-15 altogether - the highlight being the pair of babies we caught playing with eachother down a grassy sandbank. Although we couldn't see them in full light it was still a great priviledge to see them in their natural surroundings and not in a bloody tour group.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0749s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb