Horse Trekking In the Mountains


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
February 3rd 2008
Published: February 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Horse CrewThe Horse CrewThe Horse Crew

Di and Kev, me and Annie
After a restful night, we woke and made our way to the Horse Stables.

The map sais that to get to the stables we had to drive through 2 fords then go over a bridge, we didn't realise until we got there that a ford was actually a dip of water!

At first we didn't think we would be able to drive through it, but after conducting some experiments with a few rocks and a large stick, we decided to try and go for it - and good ole Lucy made us proud by driving straight through them with no water logging incidents!

We chose our helmets and then got introduced to our horses. Dianes horse was a big boy called Kev who on being brought over stopped for a big wee, then when she got on it stopped for a big poo in the middle of the arena! He was also quite lazy (i suppose it is a sunday morning) so she had to really try and kick him, but was scared she'd hurt him.

My horse was a quirky little character called Annie who when I was getting on the saddle kept trying to bite
Snack time!Snack time!Snack time!

Annie decides it time for take-away grass!
the trainer!

As I was at the back of Kev and Diane, me and Annie had to keep slowing down and Annie took these opportunities to try and eat the grass - something you can't let them do or else they will be there all day! I managed to control her most of the time until we got to another point (where Kev stopped for amother poo) and Annie tool the chance to grab a great big piece of grass and took it with her on the Journey - I kept laughing to the instructor that she had a take away!

This trek was pretty cool as we went through streams and up and down mountains, we trotted again which I had got used to (am a pro now!), Di struggled a bit but was proud as didn't look as much as a rag doll as she though she would!

We returned to the paddock (after scarring some sheep on the way) then after saying goodbyes to our horses we headed off to our next destination of Kakoura.

This is a pretty little town but is renouned for being the best place to swim with Dolphins
Me and My AnnieMe and My AnnieMe and My Annie

She's having her breakie after our little trek
as there are loads of them here due to the natural underwater habitats or something - a good feeding place for them anyway.

We checked into a hostel called the Adelphi Lodge - a bit dated but like an old hotel - then had a wander around before finding a nice pub and having a pint of Guiness.

Then it was back to the hostel for dinner and a movie in the common room before bed.

Big day tomorrow - we are booked on to go swimming with the dolphins at 8.30am - can't wait!!!!!!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Di and lazy KevDi and lazy Kev
Di and lazy Kev

Showing his bum to the camera - typical!
Kakoura BeachKakoura Beach
Kakoura Beach

Self portrait time!


Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.033s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0726s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb