Lake Kaniere


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast
December 7th 2005
Published: January 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Jim @ Lake KaniereJim @ Lake KaniereJim @ Lake Kaniere

Your launch has arrived..

On arrival in Barrytown, we'd arranged to be picked up by Jim and Margaret Park. They are friends of my (Jeremys) mums from her days in St Lucia. They drove us down to their place at Lake Kaniere, inland from Hokitika. Their house is built on poles which means that they have great views over the trees out across the lake to the mountains in the distance. A really lovely place, with all kinds of different woods used for the walls, floors and staircases. We also met their dog Maverick for the first time. He's a gentle giant and we had great fun with him.. especially at dinner time!
Jim & Margaret also had a 'toy shed'. Out of this came two kayaks which Lin and I used on the lake, and their small boat 'Wakaiti'. Jim took us to the end of the lake in the boat where he dropped us off and we walked back to the house, a four hour walk through the 'bush' and across streams and muddy paths. We were knackered when we got back, and settled down to Rum 'n' Coke with dips.. mmm.
We also went for a walk by the Water Races.
Maverick at DinnerMaverick at DinnerMaverick at Dinner

Hey.. i didn't say 'take'! (Inside joke!)
Unusual man made water courses that feed water from the lake to a small power station. Then it was into Hokitika for a long overdue haircut for me!

We phoned up the Stray office to book ourselves into the only activity worth doing in isolated Barrytown - Knife making. Kelly said it was no problem, so on the 7th, Jim drove us back to Barrytown. On arriving, we found the activity had been cancelled. We were NOT impressed! Our only choice, due to the Stray timetable, was to jump on the bus and retrace our steps down to Hokitika.

After a visit to the Jade factories in Hokitika, the bus carried on to Ross. This was an old gold mining town. Down the road was Whataroa, a beautiful spot where Lin tried her hand at Gold panning. She did manage to get some gold, but it won't pay off the mortgage! Meanwhile, I was running around in the woods getting shot in the back playing Paintball!

Next stop, Glacier country.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Rainbow @ KaniereRainbow @ Kaniere
Rainbow @ Kaniere

Enjoying the sunset..


Tot: 0.17s; Tpl: 0.029s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.094s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb