Franz Josef & Fox Glaciers


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast » Franz Josef
December 9th 2005
Published: January 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Franz Josef GlacierFranz Josef GlacierFranz Josef Glacier

The terminal face..wow.
Drove into Franz Josef and immediately booked ourselves onto the 3/4 day hike especially organised to fit in with the Stray tours for the following day. We stayed in a portacabin at the Rainforest retreat, and were abit disappointed to find their Spa empty!
The Franz Josef Glacier Guides company was quite a big outfit. They gave us all the necessary kit for the hike, including boots and 'Talonz', crampons specially made to fit the leather boots. We went by minibus to the foot of the valley, then walked for an hour to the terminal face of the Glacier. It was so impressive to see one of the only glaciers in the world that is actually advancing. Incredibly it currently moves down the valley at over a metre per day, although the terminal face melts by about 50 centimetres.
Climbing up on to the Glacier, our group was the first of the day, so our guide had to do more step cutting with a big pick axe than the other guides. There were also several other guys already on the glacier whose job was to cut steps and make sure the routes were safe.
It rained quite hard at one point,
Blister StopBlister StopBlister Stop

All this way, and still there are road signs!
so it got pretty cold but this also meant that the glacier ice appeared bright blue. We were issued with individual ice axes which helped us to hold on when crossing a ledge next to an ice cold pool of water. A few slipped and went up to their knees.. the yelps of shock could be heard down the line!
We had lunch on the move, before heading back down to the town to grab our things and jump on the bus. We left the group at Fox Glacier, and booked into the Ivory Tower hostel. Unbelievably their Spa was broken. We were destined to go without that day!
Our transport to the next day was by shuttle bus to the Glacier. We didn't expect to have a whole bus to ourselves, but thats what we got! We walked in the rain to the Glacier face, again very impressive, especially the cave from which a river flowed down into the valley. Our driver then took us to Lake Matheson and we walked around for an hour stopping at reflection Island where (cloud and mist aside) you could take pictures of the mountains reflected in the lake.

When the next
Lin at workLin at workLin at work

Lin shows our guide AJ how its done!
Stray bus came through, our new driver Al made an unscheduled stop at the Lake. We didn't walk round for a second time!
That evening, we drove to Haast where we stayed in a holiday park. Al drove us to the beach after dinner for a campfire. We all collected wood from the beach, and with the fire going AL broke out the Marshmallows. We also met Marie and Sally for the first time and Marie lead the campfire songs.. including jingle bells!

Leaving Haast for Queenstown, we stopped on the way at Stewarts Puzzle World. This had a giant maze with a tower in each of four corners. Once you'd found your way to all corners and the exit the challenge was complete. This lasted for one frustrating hour! There were also several rooms in which you could see holograms, optical illusions and snooker balls appear to run uphill!
On the road into Queenstown we made another stop at the home of the bungy. The AJ Hackett site at the Kawarau Gorge suspension bridge. Four of the group took the plunge, three literally as they were dipped as far as their waist (Dimitri the mad greek!) into the
Fox GlacierFox GlacierFox Glacier

Soaking wet but still Pumped!
river beneath them.
We decided to save ourselves (and our money) for the madness that is Queenstown!!











Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Glacier TransportGlacier Transport
Glacier Transport

Our very own Limo!
Lake MathesonLake Matheson
Lake Matheson

Reflection Island view..


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb