Heading West


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast » Westport
January 30th 2007
Published: February 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Seals at Cape FoulwindSeals at Cape FoulwindSeals at Cape Foulwind

2 seals and a baby lounging on the rocks in the sun. Must be a hard life!
On the 30th we left Picton and headed to Greymouth, via Westport. The drive took us 6hrs but we stopped and looked at a few things along the way. The South Island is quite different from the North, it reminds me of Alberta a lot. There are lots of foothills and Mountains around to look at! On the road from Picton to Westport we discover where our favorite New Zealand wine comes from, which was kinda cool to see considering we had know idea where it was!

We drove to Westport to check out a seal colony which was located at Cape Foulwind (with a name like that you know what to expect!). We saw 20 or so seals laying around on the rocks and playing in the surf and we also saw a few pups. Surprisingly enough though it didn't smell to bad!

From there we headed south of Westport to Punakaiki to see the famous Pancake Rocks. These rocks are found along the coast and have been worn away by the surf, what makes these rocks so different is the rocks are stacked on top of each other like pancakes. Scientists still haven't figured out what has caused the rocks to form in that way.

From the Rocks we drove to Greymouth and along the way we saw a penguin crossing sign! You don't see that everyday! Unfortunelty no penguins made an apperance at their sign. We will be using Greymouth as a base for 4 days to do the things in the area.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Pancake RocksPancake Rocks
Pancake Rocks

The ocean at work at creating the Pancake Rocks
Penguin CrossingPenguin Crossing
Penguin Crossing

Who would have thought penguins cross the road to get to the other side!?!


Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 23; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb