Yes the Westland is really a Wet Land...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast » Punakiaki
February 16th 2005
Published: February 16th 2005
Edit Blog Post

The day started with a fine weather and we drove north to see the famous Pancake Rocks. Not much to say about them but the way there and back was awesome - rocks on the shore with all kinds of shapes, and more amazing was the amount of green all around - trees bushes etc, and so close to the sea.
Shiri wondered how this all survives with the salt of the sea and then, just about mid-day we got the answer - rain rain rain... I drove 200km in non-stop rain, quiet heavy rain. this part of the road (from Greymouth to Franz Jozef) didn't look as nice as the first one, but maybe we simply couldn't see anything?

BTW, a short one about the roads here. I didn't see even one road with 2 lanes each direction, and they usually don't flatten the land before they make the road (what my brother calles "chocolate spread road"), so you go up-down and the road is winding heavily all the time, but still they allow you to drive 100km/hour, which is rarely allowed in Israel or the USA... And in fact it feels safe as the roads are great. So I do feel a bit like in an amusement park, on some ride... and I enjoy driving here a lot :-)


Advertisement



17th February 2005

MMM
sound gr8. We drove from Christchurch north and counter clockwise so we haven't got a trafic light from CC until Dunedin.... S - SH
20th February 2005

BEWARE OF THE SHEEP!
- daph

Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 22; qc: 83; dbt: 0.1683s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb