Once upon a time in the West


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast » Karamea
August 24th 2008
Published: August 31st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Last weekend, in order to celebrate our anniversary (we met 14 years ago!) we took the spectacular 5 hour Tranz Scenic Alpine train trip from Christchurch, over Arthur's Pass to Greymouth on the 'wild' West Coast. From Greymouth, we picked up a rental car and drove 3 hours up the coast, literally to the end of the road at Karamea. We managed an estuary walk before it became completely dark, stayed overnight in a typical Kiwi hotel ('The Karamea Hotel') and then did the whole thing in reverse on the Sunday...well, we had to get back to work for monday morning!

We had time to see some of Greymouth (home of the awesome Monteith's brewery), Westport (home of a great cafe for sunday brunch), Lake Hanlon (home of, well, a nice lake...called Hanlon) as well as taking in the amazing view from the combined 10 hours of train travel - viaducts, gorges, mountains, snow, remote villages etc. and 6 hours of driving - rainforests, coastal mountain ranges, beaches, cliffs etc.

We're definitely heading back to this area for a summer holiday in the very near future...


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Otter amazementOtter amazement
Otter amazement

Otis the otter enjoying the view from the train!
Arthur's Pass VillageArthur's Pass Village
Arthur's Pass Village

A short service stop in the snow
West coastWest coast
West coast

North of Greymouth
Confused...Confused...
Confused...

...by the bright shiny thing in the sky


1st September 2008

Happy anniversary!
Hey guys.... 14 years together! Happy anniversary to you both! I hope when me and Dawn have been together that long we can go on a beautiful train ride like that! Looks amazing. Any chance of more otter shots?

Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.1659s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb