Alpine Journey


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast » Hokitika
September 13th 2016
Published: December 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -42.7156, 170.968

We left our little spot of paradise in Christchurch to climb climb climb.
It was pretty much farmland for at least an hour, with very little climbing.
Then we found beautiful peaks at every turn, black stone and white snowy streaks.
The weather was gorgeous until we got to the very top of Arthur's Pass, then we were in the clouds. So, we were once again very blessed.
We were very curious about where the transalpine train was - and we found it at the Mt. White Bridge. We appreciated being able to pull over to take all the photos we wanted.
After the Arthurs Pass Village we stopped at the viaduct overlook for one last view - and were visited by 2 curious and "cheeky" keas. As you can see - one of them was waging war on our aerial!
Our accommodation for the night is a cabin in a campground park - right on the ocean - we can hear the surf on the black sand beach.
We ate white bait pizza!!! Unique indeed, after buying some greenstone and a blocked photo from an art gallery.
One more trek - walking across the street to see the glowworms in the bushes. Neat!

Advertisement



13th September 2016

Wow I think these photos are the most beautiful ones yet! Miss you guys!! Our 50th celebration was wonderful just not the same without you! Miss you!
14th September 2016

it's so beautiful, I can't imagine how awesome it was in person! xoxo
14th September 2016

looks like a beast!

Tot: 0.368s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0966s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb