Unbelievable beauty


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast » Haast
September 14th 2016
Published: December 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -43.8811, 169.042

We couldn't resist one more walk out on our beach in Hokatika - our little cabin had a direct route straight out. How tempting all those smooth rocks and bits of driftwood were! And the weather looked great.
So, off we went inland for about 30 mins to the Hokatika Gorge - we were the first and only ones there for a while, absorbing the beauty and sounds of all the birds.
Then south to Franz Josef Glacier. What was surprising was how seldom we were along the coast, AND how little we climbed. But what views over my left shoulder!! Count your lucky stars that we didn't upload all the shots@
Got to the village of Franz Josef - a typical ski town, lots of coffee shops and gear shops, and where to go to take the helicopter tours! These are the only way to get onto the glacier (no walking guides any more), but we still weren't tempted.
We hiked over 1.5 hours round trip to get close to the glacier - but we really weren't that close.
Then we hiked to a glacier "kettle lake," very dark and deep looking. Met lots of nice visitors - lucky people who are in NZ for lots more time than we.
And then, of course David wasn't finished with my knees yet, so we walked the 1.5 hours around Lake Matheson. 'Tho the reflection situation wasn't perfect, it was still magical, as you can see.
Had to drive almost in the dark the entire 1.5+ hours to Haast, and fortunately we didn't blink. Found the one restaurant open - TWO lamb shanks for $30 NZ - yum.
And date bread pudding with ice cream - a very British thing.

WOW - what perfect weather begins the 15th. More Adventures!!!!


Advertisement



15th September 2016

So gorgeous!
15th September 2016

It is breathtakingly beautiful.
16th September 2016

I might steal some of your photos for my computer background - they're awesome and very professional-looking! Thank you for taking & sharing them!

Tot: 0.463s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 17; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb