Mr. Franz Joseph Glacier


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast » Franz Josef
January 13th 2006
Published: January 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Runaway vehicles!!Runaway vehicles!!Runaway vehicles!!

This sign got me a little nervous... but all was well, I saw none and no signs of any from previous times.
Being raised in Melbourne does assist somewhat with adapting to the weather changes... but it is a challenge, still. They are frequent. Apparently the crappy, wet weather the west coast has been copping at the moment is a gift that comes from the east coast of Oz - I have generally found the Kiwis friendly etc. and am amused by their T-shirt which says "I support NZ and anyone playing the Aussies" - so, maybe the rotten weather front from our east is a bit of payback for such rudeness!

Driving to Franz Joseph Glacier I swapped my normal glasses and sunglasses back and forth innumerable times as the sun and clouds waxed and waned, as well as having to adjust my mindset as a herd of cattle were being herded down the road towards me (and others) and the lead few had quite a feisty trot happening... do they know the etiquette in such circumstances, I asked myself, because i sure was not sure.

anyway, it resolved itself, though a few of the younger ones looked a bit startled as they were pushed and directed by others behind them.

another 'road note' of note... i crossed at least 46 i am sure, if not 50, one lane bridges in my 300 kms or so trip from lovely little Lake Wanaka to glorious Franz Joseph... obviously a system of 'Give Way' is in play - and works.

another 'road note'... i have yet to come across a dual lane highway, they have all been sinle lane in each direction, with the occasional overtaking lanes

and another note - non 'road' - but possbly of interest, is that daylight heads to bed about 9.30 pm, so we have some extended daylight hours to my normal Melbourne life - and i like it.

In Nelson today (yesterday now) - about 500kms to get here - great driving weather; cold, wet, blustery - no incentive to stop and do happy snaps or go for bush walks. And I like what I have seen so far of this city - 50,000 pop., a good percentage i am convinced have anger management issues once they get behind the steering wheel... bloody pushy! ... okay, i am convinced now ( a day later) i just had a bad 10 minute spell...

the gods were on our side yesterday. Big adventure was to be a walk on the Franz Joseph Glacier. the highly inclement weather was putting this in the great unlikely basket - a no. of morning groups were cancelled and walking through the bush and out to the glacier the heavens were still sobbing, but creeks to cross had subsided, so we were on!

and it cleared magnificently as time went on and most of our 1 1/2 hours on the ice was in sublime late afternoon sunshine.... but i got a surprise 20 mins before boarding the bus , obviously having done my traditionally minimal level of research, to discover it was not a calm, pleasant walk across large, flat expanses of ice, but a CLIMB up and down relatively STEEP, large expanses of ice.

mmm, wondered on the ability of my dodgy back to handle this. Anyway, all worked wonderfully, a bit of hard work on the descent, but a great experience, awesome actually being on this mass of ice, with various shapes and angles.

And, for the inquiry re Bungy jumping, Carolyn and the lads... no way! see above reference to dodgy back for explanation of non attempture... (though courage may still be
Nelson at nightNelson at nightNelson at night

this is looking up to the impressive Anglican Cathedral on Church Hill.
otherwise wanting if body was in shape... but i shall never know...).

okay, some photos and another entry on what is my penultimate day...

cheers

Bernard




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

One for you, Vic!One for you, Vic!
One for you, Vic!

I have been looking high and low and crossed hundred of bridges, creeks and culverts with names, but no Vic/Victoria, until I came across this shop in Greymouth...


Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb