R A I N Almost All Day at Fox Glacier


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » West Coast » Fox Glacier
April 26th 2021
Published: April 29th 2021
Edit Blog Post

As we expected late yesterday afternoon when we arrived in Fox Glacier, the weather today was not going to offer much in the way of opportunities for outdoor activities. And so it turned out to be.

As light came up outside out motel unit, we had, what would turn out to be a last look at the surrounding mountains before they disappeared behind the mists of rain that persisted all day.

It was cold outside, probably no more than 3C, and there was what looked like fresh snow on the hills visible before the rain really closed in. Fortunately the heater in the unit was very efficient and after the brief wander outside we were able to get back into the warmth of the unit quickly.

It was to be an indoor day with the only activity visible to us during the morning being the cleaning staff going about their duties preparing the vacated units for the incoming guests later today.

Sometimes you need a day like this to catch up on administrative tasks such as some internet banking, reading, washing etc etc that might not find time for when you can be out and about exploring. This was to be our day.

There was a bit more activity outside once the afternoon stretched on and new arrivals to the surrounding units pulled and quickly unloaded their cars as the rain continued on.

Thankfully as dinner time approached the rain eased leaving us a bit more confident that we would be able to get to the adjacent restaurant without getting soaked.

The restaurant,named,’Betsy Jane ‘came with a very good reference from the motel proprietor and even though the menu offered just a half dozen or so choices we had no difficulty in choosing the first option we noticed, Blue Cod with chips and salad. As we had hoped it turned out to be delicious and cooked and presented to perfection.

It was quite dark as we headed back ‘home’ to the unit just up the road but we could see overhead that the sky had cleared of the cloud and rain that had persisted all day and we were in anticipation that the morning would bring us the opportunity to take in the views and reflections of the mountains and forest as we walked around nearby Lake Mathieson.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb