Get here if you can


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Wanaka
February 28th 2012
Published: February 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We are now broadcasting to you from Queenstown, our ultimate southerly destination in the South Island leg of our tour. The camper van is holding up, even though we have added over 2250 Kilometers to its clock. Mind you, there were over 400,000 there to start with! So let's recap the journey of the last couple of days.

We left the glacier region in yet another downpour of rain, so we hoped our journey south would bring us to better weather, and indeed it did. By the time we reached Wanaka, having driven through the spectacular Haast pass, the sun was out and it was really warm. Quite a change. The approach to Wanaka is amazing. We had to keep stopping to take photos of Lakes Wanaka and Hawea. We would stop to take one, and then around the next bend was an even more jaw dropping view. Wanaka itself is a great little town, very smart and in a really beautiful setting. It was an ideal stop over for one night on our southerly trek, even more so thanks to the by now fantastic weather.

There is a truly amazing trip to be had from Wanaka. So, after a full 2 seconds considering it, out came the credit cards and we signed up for the flight to Milford Sound. We boarded our little Cessna early in the morning, just as the sun was melting away the early morning mist and low cloud. The flight takes you over the highest peaks in the southern alps and gives amazing views of the glaciers below. Flying at 8000 feet, it feels as if you could reach out and touch the tops of the mountains. Then the flight descends quickly into the little airport at Milford, where the treat continues via a cruise around the sound on a comfortable launch. There can be few sights quite so amazing. We considered it, for example, more spectacular than the Grand Canyon, although we made sure there were no Americans around when we were discussing it. By the time we were cruising back towards the little harbour, the sun had burnt off almost all the cloud, leaving views that are really beyond description. All that was rounded off by another breathtaking flight skimming over the mountain tops on our way back to Wanaka.

For those of our readers who have been here and done this, you will appreciate what an unforgettable experience this is. For those of you yet to visit New Zealand, be absolutely sure to include this in your plans. Apparently Captain Cook managed to miss this on his first voyage of discovery to these parts. Don't make the same mistake!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



28th February 2012

I am literally LOVING this blog Andrew. It's making me feel extremely jealous, but also privileged to be sharing this with you both in some way. it looks absolutely amazing! Take care x
28th February 2012

Milford Sound
Do you realise how lucky you are to have seen Milford Sound in the sunshine??
28th February 2012

Getting there
Yes Anna I do I was here in 2007 and tried to get there for three days, the weather was too bad to get there we were told the the sun shines only 15% of the time there, so yes we were so lucky
29th February 2012

Hello
Hi Andrew I love reading about your days, it sounds so wonderful.The picture are so good its like we are there with you. love Christine xxxxx cant wait for your next trip

Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb