Wanaka, Dunedin and everywhere in between


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Wanaka
December 11th 2011
Published: December 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We have spent the past few days on a road trip with Monica visiting both Wanaka and Dunedin plus everywhere in between. Setting off last Wednesday we headed towards Wanaka leaving a wet Christchurch and driving into much nicer weather, sunny blue skies and not a drop of rain to be seen. The highways here are single lane which given the limited amount of traffic is just fine and serviced by lovely independent cafes along the route which we loved stopping at for a snack and a cuppa.

On route to Wanaka we stopped at both Lake Tekapo and Lake Pukaki to enjoy the stunning views of crystal clear waters and the Southern Alps in the distance, simply spectacular. Lake Pukaki boasts a turquoise colour which is something you have to see to believe and I hope the picture does it some justice. Arriving in Wanaka late Wednesday afternoon we enjoyed more views of mountains and of course the lake and settled in for a couple of days of doing very little. Alex and I took the car for a drive to Lake Hawea on Thursday enjoying more stunning views and seeing few people all day. We finished off Thursday back in Wanaka having a lovely meal in a restaurant called The Landing which overlooks the lake.

Friday we set off for Dunedin stopping several times for freshly picked cherries and nectarines, the selection of fresh fruit was amazing and certainly resulted in one of the healthiest car trips we have been on! Arriving Dunedin we met up with Bill and his three kids, Sara, Tessa and Ben plus Sara's husband Matt. After a few drinks we headed out for a lovely meal in Dunedin, enjoying large portions and plenty of good drink.

Saturday was the big day for Tessa graduating from Otago University as a bachelor of medicine and surgery. We headed into town to watch her walk through the city as part of the graduation procession and whilst she was graduating Alex and I had a stroll around the city centre taking in the beautiful train station, St Pauls Cathedral and the art gallery. We all met up early evening for a celebration and some speeches followed by a stroll to the beach for some pictures before sitting down for a stunning meal which we all agreed was delicious and filling.

Don't forget you can click on "Subscribe" to the right, enter you email details and you will be informed via email of any future blog updates.



Alex and Nick


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb