Scenic drive from the west coast to Wanaka


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Wanaka
August 27th 2009
Published: August 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

In the spirit of the past three days we left Franz Josef in the pouring rain!

This blog once again is a short one but I thought the photographs deserved a blog to themselves. Effectively Thursday morning we left Franz Josef and headed down the coast road until we reached Haast. Having had lunch once again looking out to sea over the beach we set off on our crossing over the Southern Alps. This journey was done with intrepidation as I wasn't too sure how the 1.3l Starlet would hold up. Thankfully the road wasn't too steep and there was no sign of snow on the roads so we were able to fly through with little problem.

We arrived into Wanaka in the early afternoon so after dumping our bags headed off into the town for a wander around. We ended up by the lake taking random photographs. After awhile I left Steve to walk on and headed back to the hostel to relax and look at the snow reports.... Having reviewed the weather reports and looked at the skiing conditions I decided that I would leave skiing till next week and do it out of Queenstown.

Friday morning we were up and out of the hostel and heading south to Milford Sound!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



2nd September 2009

The mountain
Is that not the Mount Cook one?...I recall you could view it from Wanaka...I think?

Tot: 0.205s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1193s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb