Glacier walk


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Wanaka
July 25th 2009
Published: July 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Woke up crrrazily early to catch the ferry from Wellington to Picton on the South Island. All went smoothly and honestly getting the ferry into Picton is the best introduction to the South Island you could imagine. It sails through Malborough Sound, absolultely stunning and peacful and wonderful. Drove down to Kaikura, more beautifulness, drove through the Malborough wine region which was pretty but then hit the coastal road. The Kaikura mountains to our right and then black sand and the sea on our left, the road was literally on the beach at points. We stopped to watch some seals flop around which were cute, there was masses of them just on the beach, they even had a 'watch out for seals' road sign.

Got to Kaikura but missed the last boat to go out whale watching (the whole point of coming to Kaikura) so me and Helen went horse riding. I was my standard ooo yeah I can horse ride self (I can't really) but it was good and me and the horse got on well. Went through rainforest, forest, up a river and then cantered (yeah that was funny with my lack of sitting on the horse ability) but all in the valley of the mountains which was really amazing. Had a little excursion to the local hospital that evening, James' had hit his head that morning in Wellington and started to get quite funny when we were eating dinner. He's fine and just slightly concused, they both (Helen and James) went out whale watching the next morning, but I didn't want to pay after seeing so many in Aus so sat around reading and in internet cafes (the internet cafe had fantastic central heating and was reaaaallly warm!!)

From Kaikura we did a major drive back up north then west to Nelson. Stayed there the night (in the rain) and drove to Nelson Lakes NP the next morning. Was grey and misty but that created atmosphere (that's what I'm telling myself so I don't get down about the awful weather) and it was really silent and lakey. Drove to Greymouth via Westport, stopping on the way down at the pancake rocks, just these rocks that have built up in layers like a stack of pancakes, wildly exciting as I'm sure you can imagine. Drove on the mad roads around the coast in the grey and it was scenic and rugged, then camped. Woop woop.

From Nelson it was another strech to Greymouth, via the Pancake rocks which were nice, probably more interesting if you were a Geologist or enjoyed that sort of thing. From Greymouth we drove down the Franz Josef, the glacier, which was amazing. The next day we took a guided walk onto the Fox glacier (like the mint) which was sooooo awesome. One of the best things I've done on this trip, the walk on the way up and down was a killer and I was feeling awful and unfit and a disaster but it was well worth it, the glacier is amazing and so blue. We were all so tierd afterwards that we ate and went to bed tragically early for a Friday night.

So today drove from Fox Glacier (they aren't very origional with their town names) to Wanaka via the Haast pass. The drive was stunning and Lake Wanaka was amazing. New Zealand is so beautiful!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb