Sea, Mountains, Rain, Ice, Sky and more.....


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Wanaka
May 1st 2009
Published: May 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Marlborogh SoundsMarlborogh SoundsMarlborogh Sounds

On approach to Picton.
Hi all,

It's been awhile since my last entry and we've done quite a bit since. In fact about an hour ago I was at 15,000ft but more on that later.

I believe we were about to cross the Cook Strait last time I wrote any of this drivel so we'll start from there. The crossing was pleasant enough, no big waves or anything and the scenery as we approached South Island through the Marlborough Sounds was amazing. Approaching Picton we were treated to a little display by dolphins which was pretty cool. Unfortunately my attempts to photograph them only resulted in some shots of slightly disturbed water.
We stayed in Picton where the ferry arrives and the following day did part of a multi-day walk called the Queen Charlotte Track. This gaves us some fantastic views of the Sounds. After this walk on our drive westwards the rain began. Everyday since then it has rained at some point during the day. Hopefully today could be our first day on South Island without rain.
Heading west we ended up at Westport which was a fairly uninspiring place to be honest although we saw some seals at a sanctury on the coast. Given that is was raining still we head south along the coast to a place called Greymouth. Another fairly dismal place where it rains all the time. The cheapest campsite we could find seem to consist soley of a carpark behind a petrol station with some powerpoints installed. To top it all off the showers were coin-operated. As a result we thought sod that, found a lay-by outside town and slept there. The following morning we just parked up and paid the $2 to use the showers.
Onward from Greymouth we stopped at Punakaiki to see the Pancake Rocks, odd rocks that are in layers like pancakes.
Our next stop was the Franz Josef glacier. The evening we arrived the weather was pretty dismal and we didn't fancy our chances of walking on the glacier. With the forecast suggesting that the weather may improve in a day or two we did one of the surrounding walks the next day. Our guide book described this walk as "entertaining but not too strenuous", all I can say is bollocks. Entertaining it certainly was but I wouldn't describe clambering up and down slippery rocks or navigating streams and waterfalls as "not
Kenupru SoundKenupru SoundKenupru Sound

A sample of the views from the Queen Charlotte Track
too strenuous". Still it was good fun, unfortunately we didn't get to the top (with views of the glacier) as the weather was starting to close in and the light was fading but nevertheless a good day. Our glacier walk came the next day, we were supposed to do a full day trek and go quite a way up the glacier but all the bad weather had washed away all the tracks and steps cut into the ice so we could only do a half-day and not go as far up. Still very good though and the glacier was pretty impressive. We wanted to see Fox glacier too but all the approach roads had been washed out so it wasn't possible unfortunately.
That brings us to our current stop, Wanaka. A pleasant place with some cool lake views. Will and I did a walk to the Roy's Peak yesterday although we didn't get right to the top as cloud was shrouding that. Today was better weather though and Will has attempted it again while I was launched from a perfectly good airplane. Yes, thats right folks I did my skydive today. A bit more expensive than Taupo but fantastic scenery and all in all an awesome experience. It was quite an adrenaline rush and oddly enough not at all scary. I'd highly recommend it.

Righto, I need to go and pick Will up from his walk so I'll stop boring you now.
Hope everyone is good.
Mike


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

WanakaWanaka
Wanaka

A view across the lake.
SkydiveSkydive
Skydive

Freefalling....


5th May 2009

lol!!
hehe, thought we'd see a photo of you with a man on top at some point...

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb