New Year in search of Gollum


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Wanaka
January 4th 2006
Published: January 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Took off to Queenstown with Chris on 30th Dec to camp over before watching the 1st One Day International against Sri Lanka on New Years eve. The pictures speak for themselves - as does the name of the mountain range - the "Remarkables."

Campsite was basic but views spectacular too. We set up camp in a little secluded spot in the trees then realised that the water's edge was the place to be, so had to move the tent. Why bother dismantling it after all the hard work!

After the cricket Chris & I joined Ange (Andrew/Belinda, Mark & Katie) at the lodge after travelling 30K on a dirt track and hiking over a bridge and across a river with all our food and clothes etc.

Hiked up Rob Roy Glacier on New Years day. Pictures didn't really do it justice so only one included. Great trip, miles from civilisation with spectacular scenery. Just don't jump up and down on the bridge!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

The Bridge of DoomThe Bridge of Doom
The Bridge of Doom

We arrived at our drop off point to cross over the bridge. This is before we realised that a 10 year old child had to be airlifted from the river bank having fallen through the bridge just hours earlier.
Mara Tuke Tuke ValleyMara Tuke Tuke Valley
Mara Tuke Tuke Valley

The repetition of "Tuke" apparently stresses the size of the river.
Mount Aspiring LodgeMount Aspiring Lodge
Mount Aspiring Lodge

Formerly owned by Mr J Aspinal who donated the lodge to one of Dunedin's boys' school. There is a deed in the agreement that anyone who is stranded in the lodge (due to high waters in the gorge blocking access) can slaughter a lamb for survival. Unfortunately, the river was just passable when we left despite the destruction of the temporary log bridge.
Rob Roy Glacier walkRob Roy Glacier walk
Rob Roy Glacier walk

Took us about 2 hours or so to get up. Not too hard going, and weather was mild so perfect day for it. Just arrived back at Lodge before the rain came - the rivers rose and unhooked our water supply, so the next morning we had to hike up into the hills to replace the tap.


5th January 2006

Pictures
Awesome pictures mate - Subject and Artwork

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb