December in the Southern Hemisphere


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Timaru
January 15th 2009
Published: January 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Keeping Traditions alive!Keeping Traditions alive!Keeping Traditions alive!

Gingerbread House making...
This was a very different December for the Shivers Family. I am such a Christmas junkie that it was very hard for me to not have all the traditional Christmas Spirit that I am usually accustomed to at this time of year. I felt like we went through the motions of trying to make it like the Christmases we know, but somehow it just didn't feel the same. So, we tried to embrass the fact that we were in the Southern Hemisphere and that this would be our only New Zealand Christmas and enjoy the differences. I tried very hard to find a Kiwi tradition that we could adapt, but what I realized is Christmas here is mostly and adaptation of Christmases in the UK and US. Santa is even shown as arriving and travelling in the snow, which of course, would never happen in New Zealand in December.

The pictures pretty much tell the story of our December activities. Like in years past, it was crazy - fewer work obligations and fewer Christmas parties to attend, but I did host 3 dinner parties and a 16th Birthday/Going Away party bash for Syd and 35 teenagers!

You can see
Another Christmas Tradition...Another Christmas Tradition...Another Christmas Tradition...

Christmas Sugar Cookies
from the photos that, like in VA, every small town has a Christmas parade. We missed the Timaru parade as it was the first weekend in Dec and we were tramping. We did hit the parades in Geraldine and Pleasant Point. And, they were pretty much like floats we would see at home. I think they throw more lollies (candy) here though.

Avery, my only Santa believer, wanted to do all the things we did at home and keep our traditions alive. We weren't making Gingerbread Houses to give as gifts this year, but we did make it from scratch, so the kids had a blast eating it! Christmas Sugar Cookies for Santa were a must! It was a new experience for the boys friend, Tyler. And, I had to have our Christmas Eve traditional Cheese Fondue. This was a good night to invite our vegetarian friends, and the ones whose house we would be moving into the following week, over for a goodbye dinner. They headed off to the Cook Islands for a year and we moved into their house...more on that in the next blog.

December also meant the end of the school year. Syd's events
New Zealand Christmas ParadesNew Zealand Christmas ParadesNew Zealand Christmas Parades

Geraldine Parade - Patchwork Car
happened in Nov and she was done with school by Dec. The boys had to go until the 17th - ugh, that was painful. Graham was finishing up at Highfield and will go to Timaru Boy's High School in Feb. There were several events to conclude the end of the year... a dress up goodbye dinner, called "The Leavers Dinner" for all year 8 students. And there was the all school "prizegiving" known to us as awards night and graduation.

Sydney saw an ad for auditions for "New Zealand's Next Top Model" and made it past the first round of auditions... we will keep you posted as we should hear more in late January.

Sydney also had her 16th birthday on Dec 22nd. She and her two best exchange student friends - Katie and Juliette - planned a Backyard BBQ Bash hosted by us on Dec 21st. This was our first go at teenage parties and although many tried to scare us with horrible drinking and late night party stories, the party was quite tame and the kids well behaved! And Sydney, Katie and Juliette had a blast!

Gregg sang with the Timaru Chorus in early Dec.
Geraldine Christmas ParadeGeraldine Christmas ParadeGeraldine Christmas Parade

Santa and the boys
It was a great show, but mainly music written by a Kiwi composer and not the well known traditional stuff that we know and love.

Kiwis also love their fancy dress parties. We had our first opportunity to do it up for a 40th Birthday party of one of Gregg's co-workers on Dec 20th. The picture says it all. And the South Canterbury Drama League has a wonderful costume shop where you can hire costumes very reasonably!

I didn't send Christmas cards this year. It is the first time in 20 years that I have not done so. As I begin to receive forewarded Christmas cards from home, I keep thinking that I might send Valentine's Day cards this year, or maybe even Easter... who knows, but we do hope that all of you had a Happy and Safe Holiday Season and are enjoying the beginning of 2009!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Pleasant Point Christmas ParadePleasant Point Christmas Parade
Pleasant Point Christmas Parade

another float - brrr!
Highfield Leavers DinnerHighfield Leavers Dinner
Highfield Leavers Dinner

Waiting to get started...Out of uniform for the first time and expected to look smart.
Graham's Best BuddiesGraham's Best Buddies
Graham's Best Buddies

Alex Johnson and Braydon Dovestone
Highfield PrizegivingHighfield Prizegiving
Highfield Prizegiving

Also known to us as 8th grade graduation
A Rainy Christmas Dinner PartyA Rainy Christmas Dinner Party
A Rainy Christmas Dinner Party

Gregg and Lisa, Dave and Kim Woods
New Zealand's Next Top Model??New Zealand's Next Top Model??
New Zealand's Next Top Model??

Sydney before her audition
Scooby Dooby DoScooby Dooby Do
Scooby Dooby Do

and the Mystery Crew... kiwis love their dress up parties!!
Syd's Big Sweet 16Syd's Big Sweet 16
Syd's Big Sweet 16

Sydney's 16th and a Going Away Do for Katie, from Canada, and Juliette, from France.
Backyard BBQBackyard BBQ
Backyard BBQ

Happy "Sweet 16" Sydney!!
Backyard BBQ BashBackyard BBQ Bash
Backyard BBQ Bash

The birthday party and going away party attendees
St John's Anglican ChurchSt John's Anglican Church
St John's Anglican Church

Christmas Pagent 2008 - Sydney was an Angel, Graham a king and Avery an Ox
Christmas MantelChristmas Mantel
Christmas Mantel

Waiting for Santa...
Christmas Morning 2008Christmas Morning 2008
Christmas Morning 2008

in our matching jammies


15th January 2009

cool with a k (kooooool)
kool man, i guess its pretty weird having christmas in summer weather, atleast its cold here, no snow, but cold.

Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1619s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb