Dunedin


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Timaru
June 1st 2008
Published: June 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

DunedinDunedinDunedin

As seen from the Otago Peninsula
What a great weekend! Every weekend; a new adventure. I have some catching up to do on previous weekends but wanted to share the pictures from this past one first.
We went to Dunedin, a college town built on hillsides overlooking a bay and the ocean. And to the Otago peninsula just 10 minutes away. Once again more unbelievably dramatic scenery.
On Saturday after attending Graham's first soccer game and Avery's first rugby match, we left for Dunedin which is two and a half hours away. When we arrived we headed straight for the I-Site (Visitors Center) to figure out a plan. Because it was drizzling, we opted to go to Sandfly Bay on the Otago Peninsula on Sunday when hopefully it would be lighter and dryer. We booked a tour of the Cadbury Factory for 9am Sunday and headed to the Otago Musuem. What a cool place! It is free to the public for the regular exhibts and a small cost for the special exhibts. The boys really wanted to go to Discovery World - Tropical Rainforest. It was an upfront and personal experience with thousands of butterflies in a tropical rainforest. The Discovery World area alone kept the kids entertained for hours. The rest of the museum is dedicated to all of New Zealand, esp the South Island, the Maoris and the South Pacific. This is definitly somepalce we want to come back and visit again.
Saturday night was the big rugby match - New Zealand (Crusaders) vs. Australia (Waratahs). After checking into our hotel we headed to the nearest pub to watch the game. It was a great introductory education for us on rugby. The Crusaders won - they are the Christchurch team. Everyone here is quite passionate about the sport. Avery is playing "ripper" (tag) rugby and I was a little disappointed that Graham chose soccer over rugby until I saw the 12-13 year olds play. Yikes. I think you have to have been brought up playing to not freak out at the roughness of it.
Cadbury World - yum! We only got an abbrevated tour as they don't make chocolate on the weekends. For this, they supplied us with extra freebies. By the end of the day we were all feeling a bit yucky. After our tour we shopped around for awhile before heading to the peninsula and to Sandfly Bay. We had a tour booked
Cadbury WorldCadbury WorldCadbury World

The first picture of the 5 of us!
to see the Royal Albatross at 3pm. But the day was so calm that there was little chance that the enormous birds would be flying. These big birds need 8 knots to get off the ground. So, after spending an hour jumping on sand dunes - you have to see it to believe it - we cancelled our tour and went to have lunch with some friends we had met on Saturday at Avery's rugby game. We had a lovely afternoon with them at Broad Bay. It was a mix of Kiwis, Canadians, South Africans and Americans. What a fun afternoon and so nice to have been invited over for Sunday lunch.
Couldn't leave Dudedin without visiting the steepest street in the world one more time. We drove up it in the dark on Saturday night - very scary - and took some video. On Sunday, Gregg, Avery and I opted to hike the street. It is a really strange sensation that just can't be captured in a photo.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Cadbury WorldCadbury World
Cadbury World

The kids showing off their stash!
Ripper RugbyRipper Rugby
Ripper Rugby

Avery's first game.
Sandfly BaySandfly Bay
Sandfly Bay

Gregg enjoying the dunes.
Sandfly BaySandfly Bay
Sandfly Bay

Beautiful vistas!
Sandfly BaySandfly Bay
Sandfly Bay

Boys on the Beach
Sandfly BaySandfly Bay
Sandfly Bay

Doesn't Gregg look relaxed! Most of you haven't seen that for awhile!
Baldwin StreetBaldwin Street
Baldwin Street

The steepest street in the world.
Baldwin StreetBaldwin Street
Baldwin Street

Avery actually ran up and down the street!


2nd June 2008

Wow, the dunes look sooo pretty. I bet it is a great work out to jog up and down that street :-)
4th June 2008

Soooo jealous!!!
Lisa, absolutely fantastic pictures! I loved reading and catching up on what you have all been up to. Keep the entries coming and see if the kids and Gregg will write some stuff. Donna
9th June 2008

Missed your calling
You know you should have been a travel agent or tour guide. Luckily for me you will be my personal tour guide........Michele

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb