Jo at Milford Sound / Fiord (JT was there too)


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Te Anau
October 30th 2008
Published: October 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ok, so John has decided it’s my turn to write a blog-it’s not very long so we should be ok!
After Te Anau we headed along the Milford Road to Milford Sound (another Fiord with the wrong name). We stopped on-route for a walk to Key Summit which 2 separate couples had both recommended to us, both warning that it was very steep but well worth the view. Well, I don’t know how one of those couples will find the walk we recommended them as it wasn’t really that steep…. Anyway, it started snowing just before we got to the top so we couldn’t really see anything at all! Back down at the car park, John was very excited to see a Kea - a mountain parrot that eats bits of cars! The sign warned that if you feed a Kea your lunch, it will eat your car for pudding. There are some bits falling off our van but they could quite well have been falling off already…..
A couple of hours after arriving at Milford it cleared up and we were able to see the surrounding snow capped mountains, I’m sure the photos won’t do it justice at all. The next day we went kayaking! That was a great way to see the fiord though the planes/helicopters/boats going by constantly do spoil it a bit. We saw bits and bobs of wildlife including a penguin, a seal and some paradise ducks. The guide was explaining about tree avalanches - because the trees are clinging onto the steep rock faces and are all tangled up in one another, once one gets too big and falls over, a whole sheet of them fall down into the water leaving a bare rock face for the whole process to start again.
Campsites here all generally kick you out at 10am and as it’s now 9.48 I had best get a move on. We’re back in Te Anau for the night and heading to Queenstown today where we’ll meet my mum on Monday!! Mum and Alan are currently in Christchurch and have gone whale watching today.
Over and out!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb