Te Anau - Fiordland National Park


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Te Anau
March 26th 2008
Published: March 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After Dunedin, we headed south to the Catlin coast. There we saw yet more beautiful scenery and more seals. Not much other than that to report!

We then drove across to the South West corner of the South Island, that is the Fiordland National Park (essentially a lot of mountains that over the years had been gouged out by glaciers that have since melted and left behind the fiords). We spent a couple of nights in Te Anau. The main highlights being a boat trip across the windy Lake Te Anau to a glow worm grotto. We were guided into a cave beside the lake which had been carved out by an underground stream. Walking past the stream, waterfalls and stalagmites and stalagtites, we reached a little boat that took us in complete darkness deeper into the cave where the glow worms shone brilliantly in the darkness. We've put a photo up, which gives a sort of idea of what we did, as you aren't allowed to take photos inside.

After the glow worms we headed to the Fiorland cinema to see Ata Whenua (Shadowlands), a film created by a local helicopter pilot who invited a couple of the Lord of the Rings cameramen to shoot from his helicopter the amazing Fiordland National Park. At 30 mins long it is hardly a blockbuster, but it was absolutely stunning shots of one of the most beautiful places in the world (also why we bought the DVD, which can be borrowed when we get back!).

After Te Anau we headed up the famous Milford Road towards Milford Sound... More to come


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb