Stewart Island


Advertisement
Published: April 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Stewart Island is the 3rd largest island in New Zealand and one of the few places with lots of Kiwi's, birds out number people by a long way..
The ferry crossing to the island from Invercargil almost made it not worth it as it was so rough. People were being sick all around me and the only way I could feel better was sitting as still as possible and trying not to look at any of them, it was worth it though as the island is really pretty and quite, lots of lovely beaches and coves, birds, walks.

Kate ( a girl I met on the Stray bus) and I went ona fishing trip too. We'd never been fishing before and it was really fun. I can now see why it's so popular in Oz. We caught loads, admitedly lots were quite small and returned to the sea and we caught a few Dogfish which are the rats of the sea apparently, but we still came home with a massive bag each of Blue Cod and Trumpeter. The birds around the boat were really cool too. There were loads of Mullymawks and a Royal Albatros that all fought over the bits of left over bait and the fish as we were pulling up our lines..

While there the weather wasn't great and we were wearing about 4 layers each while fishing and even with the walks we went on in the rain I would still recopmmend visiting.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb