days 9 and 10


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Southland » Stewart Island
February 23rd 2006
Published: February 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

day 9: freshwater landing to north arm 12km
today i again woke to rain and was walking late. a slow start and slow going most of the way. i walked up and down many small hills and through streams before the real hard work began. i made two ascents, steep, muddy, blah blah, and longer than usual. today the north west circuit met the raikura (the new zealand great walk) track. a funny thing....not two steps after the trails met i was walking on boardwalks. i walked continuously on them for 4km until the hut. after about 100km of mud, rock, root and more mud it felt awkward. tomorrow is my last day of walking and should be pretty cruisey.

day 10: north arm to halfmoon bay 12km
a cruisey day all around and pretty boring. i didn't even wear my gators and my boots didn't get muddy at all as i was on boardwalk or gravel track the whole time. it rained, it poured, i was wet. i got to town after 3 hours....changed into dry (but dirty) clothes and bought myself a cappuccino to warm up while i waited for the ferry.

mk met me with a hug and a chocolate bar!! woohoo. i'm done.

that was the best thing i've done in my entire life. the most remote, the most at peace i've felt in what feels like forever. incredible.

Advertisement



26th February 2006

Caitie: you are unbelievable. I am so proud you belong to me (sort of). Mom

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb