Coincidences


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Southland » Catlins
December 15th 2005
Published: December 23rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

"Coincidences" It isn't often that people recognise that from bad situations good things always happen. It may not be that day or even that week, but sometime soon it will turn into a blessing in disguise.
I was travelling along with my 2 Dutch travel partners Rob and Henrike when we stopped for a routine toilet stop on the way to the catlin forest. We were 25 kilometres from the nearest town and we spotted a roadsided public toilet located next to a small school. It was a normal sort of day, the sun was shining, we were surrounded by views of fields and hills and there was the impeccable sound of silence......apart from the odd moo of a cow!! Things soon took a sudden turn! After returning from the toilets, and having restocked our fresh water supply we decided to continue with our journey to the forest. Except fate had other ideas. The car refused to start. At this point we were pretty relaxed about the situation, it was easy we would walk to a phone and call the rental company....no problems! Suddenly the heavens opened and the most terential rainstorm i had ever experienced was falling directly overhead. Things werent all bad, we could sit in the car until the rain passed and then look for the phone. 10 minutes passed, 20...now 30. This rain wasnt going to stop anytime soon. We were already behind schedule with our plan to see the entire island in 3 weeks so this wasnt a good thing.......or was it? All of a sudden Rob lept out of the vehicle and ran off!! Where was he going? he caught sight of a lady, the first person we had seen in a few hours. Luckily for us the lady lived on a local farm and she took us inside to use the telephone. Things had gone from bad to worse when the rental company had informed us that they couldnt get anybody to us until at least the following day, so we were stranded. No food, 3 in a car would be an uncomfortable night.....and it was still raining. Thats when fate had helped us out. It had landed us on the doorstep of one of the nicest families ive ever had the privelage of meeting. the Beck family. They had not only sorted the car out for us for the fiollowing day, but they fed us our first hot meal in 2 weeks, gave us a place to sleep....as if this wasnt enough.....they even insisted on doing all of our washing for us. Unbelievable, was this really happening! The first kiwi family that we had the chance to really meet and they were our gaurdian angels.
So my first journal is a thankyou to kyle, sue and the kids, and also to show that bad situations arent always what they seem and that we should live with the faith that we are being looked after. So thankyou guys, you have been the highlight of our journey so far.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.034s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb