Bluff to Dunedin via Catlins


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Southland » Catlins
May 10th 2007
Published: May 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Bluff to Dunedin via Catlins

 Australasia » New Zealand » South Island » Southland » Catlins By Thelma and Louise do NZ
May 10th 2007
Laura, Sarah and Drusilla
After taking the ferry back to the mainland from Stewart Island, it was time to head for Dunedin. We could have taken a very quick inland route (about 2 and a half hours). However, we decided to try to make up for disappointing Stewart Island and see some decent scenery. Although the route involved quite a lot of driving along gravel road, it was worth it, particularly to see a sea lion just chillin' on the beach, totally unexpected but very cool. We were grateful to the other visitors to the beach who pointed out this vast creature to us, before we mistook it for a rock and stood on it (we weren't so close that we were about to do so, but we had, until that point, been blissfully unaware of this large beast. Word has it that they can be aggressive and can outrun a man on land, so best not to p*** them off!).

Our main stop off points included Waipapa point (where we saw the sealion), Porpoise Bay, and Nugget point.

There's not much more to say about the Catlins - let the pictures speak for themselves!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb