Day 30 - South Coast : Driving and sight seeing


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Southland » Catlins
December 6th 2006
Published: December 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today was pretty much a driving day and stop where ever we saw something interestering....

Our first stop was at Clifden Caves. We decided to investigate. Having pulled up; we checked out the entrance - it looked easily explorable; not only that but a Clifden Caves information panel actively invited people to explore it! It was 300m long and would take approximately 40 mins to do the through trip; the survey was straight forward and the entire route was marked my reflective badges! We dug out our head torches back at the Campervan, returned and started exploring. After a few squeezes through boulders, some stooping, lots of walking size passages, a few chambers, lots of formations, some grafitti, we finally met the crux. A 10m wide/long circular chamber which had been carved out by swirling rocks. It was full of water; apparently chest-deep. Straight ahead the passage continued. Around the left-side edge, about 4 inches under the water, a small ledge (just wide enough for feet) worked its way around from the entrance to the exit! It looked like a scene you could imagine in "The Goonies". Phil checked out the ledge option; To gain it required some clinging to rocks while overhanging over the water and feeling for the ledge with feet - the risk of falling into the pool quite possible! Having little change of clothes back at the campervan, and not wanting to get wet (and cold) we returned. Where were about 95%!o(MISSING)f the way through.

We jumped back into the van, and met the coastline where we had a quick stop at a view point called McCrackens Rest which although nice wasn't particulary interesting.

We ended up at Waipapa Point to look at a NZ Sea Lion colony. They were quite a few around and we watched them at sunset swimming and resting on the beach for some time. There was also a lighthouse which looked very picturesque during the sunset.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb