The Routeburn Track


Advertisement
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Routeburn Track
December 22nd 2006
Published: December 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Routeburn Track - Day 1 December 18, 2006 We were packed and ready to go… most of our luggage was stored at the hotel and the few belongings we were taking with us were packed and on our backs. We were picked up at our hotel and whisked by bus to the start of the Routeburn track. We enjoyed the views from the bus all along as we drove north along the banks of Lake Wakatipu. The mountains were ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 59, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

What a view!What a view!
What a view!

This type of vista was common on our second day of the trek.
Wow!Wow!
Wow!

Now that's a waterfall!
Lake Mackenzie Basin (and hut)Lake Mackenzie Basin (and hut)
Lake Mackenzie Basin (and hut)

Our first glimpse of MacKenzie Hut. The steep switchback trail meant another hour until we were able to lay our rain-soaked boots in front of the stove and break out the cards.
Mackenzie LakeMackenzie Lake
Mackenzie Lake

In the morning with fresh snow on the moutains.
The developing stormThe developing storm
The developing storm

The Department of Conservation officer warned us to watch the clouds forming on the mountain tops - these ones became darker and proved to be ominous.
A storm brewsA storm brews
A storm brews

On day two we walked for a few hours in drizzle but theses clouds brought on much heavier rain for the last three hours of the walk.
Treading up a mountain streamTreading up a mountain stream
Treading up a mountain stream

The constant rainfall turned much of the path into small streams. Our feet were soaked through for the last 4 - 5 hours of this leg.
A Blustery DayA Blustery Day
A Blustery Day

As we Left The Mackenzie Hut and gained elevation, the weather bounced back and forth between rain and snow. The Holloford River is seen below.
Earland FallsEarland Falls
Earland Falls

90% of the waterfalls in this area occur within 24 hours of rainfall so we were lucky to see so many waterfalls (read sarcasm). This one wasn't temporary but was swollen due to the rains.
Lake Howden HutLake Howden Hut
Lake Howden Hut

Being slower trekkers, we were treated to the warmth of a coal-fired pot belly stove on our arrival at the Howden hut. Note all of the shoes and gear drying by the stove. p.s. Thanks to the speedy trekkers for firing up the stove for us.
... and then a card game broke out.... and then a card game broke out.
... and then a card game broke out.

At the cards olympics were teams from Canada, Germany, Ireland and England. The Zanders from Aachen, Germany used their underage team members (Liza, Hannah and card shark Eva) to clean up the table and claim the gold medal.
Tim Stokes the FireTim Stokes the Fire
Tim Stokes the Fire

Drying our gear at The Howden Hut.
The Ailsa MountainsThe Ailsa Mountains
The Ailsa Mountains

Storm clouds formed above the Ailsa Mountains as the sun set on The Lake Howden Hut. The forecast was for snow down to 800 m. We were at 1000 m and did wake to a beautiful snow/slush storm the next morning.
Typical temperate rainforestTypical temperate rainforest
Typical temperate rainforest

The first and last days of the trek are through lush temperate rainforest. We often heard the native Kea (alpine parrot) but weren't treated with a visit.
Fresh snow above the rainforest in the summertime.Fresh snow above the rainforest in the summertime.
Fresh snow above the rainforest in the summertime.

Fresh snow on the peaks just metres above the rainforest tree line in the middle of summer. We were told to expect 4 seasons in 1 day but it was more like 4 biomes in 1 hour.
RainbowRainbow
Rainbow

In the evening outside the Howden Hut. What a great way to end the adventure!
Rainforest RainbowRainforest Rainbow
Rainforest Rainbow

A closeup of the rainbow
Trudging Through the RainforestTrudging Through the Rainforest
Trudging Through the Rainforest

Sarah moves at lightning speed as the path levels out just minutes from The Divide Carpark.



Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 31; qc: 136; dbt: 0.1018s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb