Rotary Bookarama


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Reefton
November 18th 2007
Published: November 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Bargain Hunters at the BookaramaBargain Hunters at the BookaramaBargain Hunters at the Bookarama

Sales were brisk early on with bargain hunters hitting the tables soon after the doors opened.
The highlight of the Reefton Rotary calendar is Bookarama and Market Day. This year it fell on November 17 and it was a great success. Far more than a mere used book sale, Bookarama is a day full of activities. There were various "sporting" activites: wine barrel rolling, tug of war, and the horizontal bungy. The ambulance service had a static display and worked with the local volunteer fire dept to put on a rescue demonstration involving the removal of a "victim" trapped in a car with the jaws of life. The Black Powder Gang brought out their vintage firearms shooting off their black powder guns at unexpected intervals. A number of classic cars were on display, including the old Reefton Fire Engine (no longer in use). Local entertainer Professor Hukarere playing his banjo was accompanied by an accordian player at the Bearded Miners Hut. A local band took the main stage on the forecourt of the Mobil gas station, while the youth manned the sausage sizzle in front. Merchants from Reefton and Westport lined the main street with stalls. Tony Fortune presided over the cake decorating contest. The two cakes that were sumitted had obviously had a great deal of time put into them. Both had a geographic theme. In the end, Tony could not choose between them and a tie was declared. The sense of community was pervasive.

Adrianne made "sherbert" (a form of candy) and she and her mates brought in more than $70 selling lollies and pizza. The weather could not have been better. Although the sun was quite strong and poor old Avery got a nasty sun burn. The sale itself went reasonably well raising more than $2,000 for the local Youth Centa.

Astrid is off at a medical conference in Australia. She helped with the prep work but sadly missed the day itself, but is no doubt have adventures of her own in Oz with her friend Suchi.

Summer is now officially here (according to me). The evening temperatures hover around 10 degrees, while the day time highs are pushing 20 degrees. This should be the end of our coal burning days, I hope.

Advertisement



19th November 2007

Bookarama
What a co-incidence. Your picture could have been taken in Brighton Town Hall where Mike and I went to the Lions book sale in yesterday .... came back with gallons of books for next to nothing and didn't even dent the display.
4th December 2007

Books
Any books on windmills?

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0822s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb