Skiing


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
July 9th 2011
Published: July 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday 6th - Friday 8th July 2011

Our last few days have been filled with skiing well, at least my days were. Alex put on his skis for five minutes before heading back inside! He didn't even attend the pre-booked lesson. And, no amount of convincing worked. S'pose, you can't put balls in chickens! So, while I was having fun on the slopes, Alex has been grocery shopping, cleaning the apartment and cruising on the lake.

I skiied at Coronet Peak for all three days. The snow at The Remarkables apparently wasn't as good and Cardrona only opened this morning. It is the first time in history that Cardrona has had to rely on man-made snow to open. The snow and conditions at Coronet Peak improved each day. There were snow showers throughout all three days but no wind until this afternoon, when we had a "white-out". After my lesson, I got more and more confident, working up to the blue runs at the highest point. And, as always the case, the last day was the best.

Tomorrow we plan on exploring QT including the gardens, underwater observatory, Fergburgers and the skyline restaurant. On Sunday we are booked to visit the glow worm caves at Te Anau before heading to Dunedin on Monday.


Saturday 9th July 2011

Today I woke up with an extremely bad neck. However, the show goes on! Painkillers got me around the gardens, which were quite nice. The underwater observatory was tiny and anticlimactic. We did see diving ducks, rainbow trout and huge salmon.

Fergburgers were brilliant! A tiny shop with the line out the door and everyone digging into mouthfuls of a huge, juicy burger. I will upload a photo of the menu including, the Bun Laden burger at a later date! It was definitely value for money and a great experience. We will be back! We also found a quaint sweet shop and Alex purchased some Tiramisu fudge. Yummmmmmmmmmm!

We were planning on going on the gondola up to the Skyline restaurant, see the haka and go on the luge. But, the weather today is disgusting! And we don't think it's worth the money since we will not be able to see, or appreciate, the scenery. Hopefully, the weather will be clearer next weekend. Might go and watch the Rugby final with the Kiwis instead.

I'll be off now. Going to put some heat on my neck so I will be able to look out my right side in the glow worm caves tomorrow!




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



9th July 2011

No Comment
It's always good to take the housekeeper with you, (Alex). Sounds good so far, just enjoy and stay safe, mind the glow-worms. :)
12th July 2011

Better?
Is your neck better yet?

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb