More scenery


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
February 10th 2006
Published: February 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Queenstown was our next stop. This is the adrenalin sports capital of probably the world and is particularly famous for bungee jumping. It also happens to be in a very pretty spot just off a huge lake. We first took the gondola (cable car) up the mountain and went on the luge at the top. We went around five times and Jason reckoned he won every time. Its quite a fast track and we even witnessed a poor Japanese girl come flying off her kart after not slowing down at a big drop. ( Jason didn't think this was funny-not!). The next day we went on a white water rafting trip. We picked the river suitable for beginner's which is the Kawaru river and parts of it were used in the Lord of The Rings (bit with the statues of the kings). However it looked a lot bigger in the film. Its also where a purpose built bridge for bungy jumping is located. After the safety talks we still wanted to do it. Jason went and appointed us in the 'adventure action raft!!'. Which involved us standing on the front of the rafts while the others did their best to turn it so you fell in. My sister Adele had to sit with her legs over the side on the front of the raft as we went through a stretch of rapids (she made it). There was a point in the river where you can safely jump in from some rocks. Jason tried it but manged to 'face flop' into the river. (His nose however remains the same). We had a fantastic time and in hindsight this was the best activity we did in New Zealand. We left Queenstown and Adele the next day as she as meeting up with an old school friend later on but not after taking the scenic drive to 'Glenorchy' and back. This is very beautiful and you've probably seen it in LofTR. The drive on to lake Wanaka was one of the most steepest and yet again very scenic. Wanaka itself is like Te Anau and we swam here as well. Just outside Wanaka is a place where you can drive monster trucks. Guess who drove one?


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Jason on ski liftJason on ski lift
Jason on ski lift

This is the ski lift up to the luge track with Queenstown behind.
The 'Ledge' Bungy jump stationThe 'Ledge' Bungy jump station
The 'Ledge' Bungy jump station

Some mad people like throwing themselves off this platform on the mountain side.


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb