Day 19 - On the Road to Queenstown


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
November 25th 2007
Published: November 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Today we were back on the road, starting the last leg of our journey. Our trip to Queenstown starts our trek north up the west coast of the South Island. On our way to Queenstown, we mixed in a few stops to break up the trip including a slight detour to the Catlins, which is near the southern-most point of the South Island. The area is called Nugget Point and is famous for a few different things including…a lighthouse! Better yet, it’s also one of the few areas where fur seals, sea lions, and elephant seals all cohabitate. We were hoping to see something good and we hit the jackpot! The lighthouse played second fiddle to almost a dozen fur seals, a few sea lions, and a small group of elephant seals. Very cool. They were too far away for pictures but the binoculars proved invaluable. We made our way back to the main road and drove for a few more hours. By that point, it was time for Thanksgiving dinner. We hit a grocery store and bought a few different things including cranberry sauce. Thanks to KFC, our dinner of chicken, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and coleslaw was outstanding. We gave thanks, chowed down, marked the holiday with a couple of pictures and hit the road. We arrived at our B&B near Queenstown and after a short walk around the garden and the lake, we settled in to get ready for tomorrow’s adventure. That’s all for now. Stayed tuned.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.314s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0931s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb