Catching up...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
November 19th 2007
Published: November 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

A Familiar Face...A Familiar Face...A Familiar Face...

Way back in August, a friend of mine (Sarah Martin, left) from Northwestern visited Queenstown with some of her lawyer friends (Blair, center, and Beth, right)... I was responsible for "Suppressing their inner grandma"- they had been going to bed early their entire trip in order to get up for various tours and excursions. Needless to say, Queenstown was the perfect place to put an end to all that...
Ok, well, its been a while (2 months actually) since I’ve posted anything to my blog, and rather than try to describe everything that has happened over the past 2 months, I’m just going to post a bunch of pictures, and let the captions tell most of the story. I’m sure you are grateful to be spared what would’ve been a novel of a blog posting in and of itself- I can hear the collective sigh of relief all the way from Queenstown… Just a quick update on my situation, and then we’ll get to the pics:

After spending 3 weeks back in the States and a week in Fiji on the return trip to Queenstown, I’ve now been back in NZ for a little over a month. After trialing at 3 different restaurants, I have finally secured a “full-time” position working at Luciano’s Restaurant- the same place I worked at prior to starting at the Sofitel back in July. The pay is much better, the staff is really fun, and the whole vibe of the place is very cool. Im in the middle of a stretch of working 11 days in a row (Not sure how that happened…), but
The Minus 5 BarThe Minus 5 BarThe Minus 5 Bar

One night, the girls wanted to go to the Minus 5 Bar- its a bar down on the waterfront that is completely made out of ice- the bar, the benches, the shelves, even the glasses you drink out of!
should have 3 days off next week. Cory, my flatmate and Expedition co-leader, is back in the US for the time being. His brother is clinically in remission now (Thank God for that), and now he is trying to sort out if and when he might be able to rejoin the Expedition. Due to that, I have decided to stay on in Queenstown through the summer, enjoying the nicer weather and the plethora of outdoor activities that the surrounding mountains, lakes, rivers, and gorges have to offer. Everyone keeps telling me how much better the summer is here than the winter, and I am starting to understand why. It is now getting light outside by 6am, and it doesn’t get dark until 10pm or so. I’m told that in the middle of summer, it never gets completely dark- theres always a subtle glow in the sky- crazy. Needless to say, Im excited about the prospects of spending the summer in Queenstown. Since our initial lease runs out on Nov. 26th, I had to decide whether I wanted to move to a new place or find a new flat mate for the time being. Having lived in such an ideal location for the past 5 months, I was reluctant to give the place up and possibly have to live somewhere else that would most likely be much less convenient. Hence, Ive recruited a new flat mate- a Swiss guy named Sebastian is moving in next week sometime. He’s 22, went to High School somewhere in New Jersey, and is in Queenstown for the summer to guide river rafting and canyoning trips. Neeless to say, Ive got my fingers crossed for a few freebies…

Other than that, not much to report. Just happy that its warming up and excited about what the summer has in store. Definitely going to miss being home for Thanksgiving… I don’t think they have turkey in New Zealand. Bummer, for sure.

Okay, that’s it for now. I’ll let the pictures tell the rest of the story…



Additional photos below
Photos: 67, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

A Cool Table for Two...A Cool Table for Two...
A Cool Table for Two...

They change the ice sculptures every week or so... Thats a lot of ice!
Parkas Provided...Parkas Provided...
Parkas Provided...

Beth, Sarah, and Blair, staying warm in the Minus-5 Bar
Blues Brothers 2007...Blues Brothers 2007...
Blues Brothers 2007...

Some friends at the Sofitel had a Black and White party to celebrate their birthdays- I went as one of the Blues Brothers. I was on a misson from God...
Chasing the Blues Away...Chasing the Blues Away...
Chasing the Blues Away...

Sarah and I at the Black and White party..
The First Installation of the Thrillogy...The First Installation of the Thrillogy...
The First Installation of the Thrillogy...

The Ledge Bungy platform, looming high over Queenstown. The drop off of the platform is 47 meters, but it feels much higher due to the fact that you are suspended off the side of a mountain HIGH above Queenstown down in the valley below. This was the first of three bungys Cory and I did as part of AJ Hackett's Thrillogy.
Getting Ready to GO...Getting Ready to GO...
Getting Ready to GO...

The Ledge is the only bungy in Queenstown you can do when it is dark, so we opted for that. Its also unique it that instead of being attached around your ankles and jumping off the edge of the platform, you wear a body harness and run off the platform. A good way to do the first one as, since it was dark out, it was just running and jumping off into blackness. Still scary though...
5-4-3-2-1-BUNGY!!!!5-4-3-2-1-BUNGY!!!!
5-4-3-2-1-BUNGY!!!!

Running off the Ledge platform, attempting a backflip...
A Jump With a View...A Jump With a View...
A Jump With a View...

Falling backwards off the Ledge platform, with the lights of Queenstown shining far below...
Where It All Began...Where It All Began...
Where It All Began...

Cory and I at the Kawarau Bridge Bungy Center and Museum- site of the world's first commercial bungy jump.
The Kawarau Bridge Bungy Site..The Kawarau Bridge Bungy Site..
The Kawarau Bridge Bungy Site..

The second of the three jumps included in the Thrillogy, the Kawarau Bridge sits 43 meters over the Kawarau River. You do have the option of getting dunked in the water... Its COLD.
Ready to go...Ready to go...
Ready to go...

Pumped up about jumping off a bridge- go figure...
Taking Flight...Taking Flight...
Taking Flight...

Launching off the bridge platform
Just another afternoon in Queenstown...Just another afternoon in Queenstown...
Just another afternoon in Queenstown...

Soaking in the views of the Kawarau River Gorge... Ahhh- so peaceful, save the enormous amounts of adrenaline rushing through my system at this precise moment...
Its time for the BIG one...Its time for the BIG one...
Its time for the BIG one...

The Nevis Highwire Bungy- the third and final jump in the Thrillogy. We saved the highest for last... 134 meters from the platform to the valley floor below. 8.5 seconds of free-fall. The whole set-up is designed to freak out even the most seasoned thrill seekers... Open air cable car out to the platform, everything swaying in the wind- your palms are sweaty and your mouth is dry before you even set foot on the platform.
The view from the Nevis platform...The view from the Nevis platform...
The view from the Nevis platform...

I dont think this photo does any justice as to how high the platform really is. Trust me- it is HIGH.
Fiberglass floor panels...Fiberglass floor panels...
Fiberglass floor panels...

Even the platform is designed to get your blood pumping- you can see through the floor all the way to the river below, can feel it swaying in the wind, feel the whole thing shudder when a jumper reaches the extent of the bungy cord, see and hear the jumpers screaming throughout their bungy- its INSANE.
LAUNCH!!!LAUNCH!!!
LAUNCH!!!

Somehow, someway, I convinced myself this was a good idea, and here's the proof- launching myself from a TINY platform over 400 feet above the ground. RIDICULOUS.
Just getting started...Just getting started...
Just getting started...

8.5 seconds of the wind screaming in your ears, heading straight down to the valley floor below- it really feels like youre flying, albeit straight at the ground, but still. The closest thing to skydiving without actually jumping out of a plane.


24th November 2007

New Posting
Tilley, glad you finally had another posting. I was starting to wonder what happened to you. Keep it up. Pics look like you're still having a great time.
26th November 2007

Fabulous
Nick, thank you for sharing your fabulous photos....I especially am touched by the yellow ..."Live Strong"...on your wrist.....which is exactly what YOU are doing! We were so happy and honored that you were able to attend Chad and Lindsay's wedding.....What a magical night! Take care and enjoy life! Love, Cory's mama:)

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb