Fox Glacier


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Queenstown
December 27th 2006
Published: December 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

A break in the weather finally meant we made it onto Fox Glacier. The mist cleared and rain stopped - though not for long - allowing the helicopters to land safely upon the glacier. Working out at about 100 pounds each, but worth every penny, we rode in the front of the helicopter next to the pilot and had a bird's eye view of the approach to the glacier, the valley sides and numerous vistas and waterfalls. Upon landing we criss-crossed the glacier and through ice caves wearing crampons and looking the complete pro!

It was surprisingly warm and at such an altitude - about 900m above sea level - we needed the suncream. The good weather didn't last and we experienced how quickly the weather can change because the temperature dropped as freezing cloud enveloped us and then soaked us! After 3 hours of ice-hiking we made the return journey in the helicopter. Sarah obviously made an impression on the pilot as she sat in the front again while I was in the cheap seats. We realised how delicate and light the helicopters are as the door flapped in the turbulence! We were all a lot wetter, colder and less chipper on the way down and wished we hadn't checked out of the hostel earlier that morning so we could go back for a hot shower. A quick change of clothes in the wagon (thank goodness for tinted windows!) and a bite to eat and we set off on the 5+ hour drive - though the stunning Haast Pass, Lake Wanaka and Lake Hawea made it seem shorter - to Queenstown, the self-styled adrenaline capital of the world. It will have to go some to improve on the glacier.

We must have passed only 50 vehicles on the whole journey such is the expanse of wilderness; one has the road to themselves virtually all the time. We've also clocked up our 2000th kilometre.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb