a little bit of british!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Christchurch
December 31st 2006
Published: January 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Typical that as we arrive in Christchurch with its apparently very british architecture, the very british weather also arrives. Gales and rain for the day so we decided to take in some culture and do the art gallery, arts centre and the market. Christchurch does have a distinctly english feel compared to the rest of new zealand mainly due to the architecture, it reminds us of Oxford but we're sad to admit it isn't as nice, however the hostel makes up for this with the cleanliness and facilities and the happy hour beer once again-a pitcher for $5 (1 pound seventy five). Let's just say that we staggered back to the room very happy!

Prior to arriving in Christchurch we spent two nights in Queenstown, the most southerly point on our jaunt. The weather was, again, mixed but for some walks and gondola ride up Bob's Peak which looms over Queenstown and Lake Wakatipu. It also offers breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains including the aptly-named Remarkables. Having chickened out of an array of bungy jumps we raised the pulse by riding the luge back down the hill. In a normally health and safety conscious country we were encouraged to sit on a sheet of plastic with a couple of wheels and hurtle at close to 60kph, wearing just a helmet (and our usual clothes of course; the queues at the naked luge were too long).

We're due to fly back to Auckland later where we celebrate New Year, before one more day in Auckland and a looong flight home.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb