Punakaiki and Pancake Rocks


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island » Punakaiki
April 13th 2009
Published: April 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Punakaiki 3rd - 6th April 2009

The drive along the West Coast was beautiful. A rugged coastline with very dramatic seas. We walked around the famous 'Pancake Rocks' which were very dramatic.

The next day we went for a walk along the Pororari River which was brilliant. It reminded us of parts of Thailand - towering cliffs and lush tropical forest. The walk was one of the nicest day walks we have done (only 3 hours actually, but close enough). We had to cross another river further along the walk, then stopped to have lunch. There were some horses there (free-grazing: a bit like in the New Forest) and they got a bit too interested in our lunch! At one point we were both stood up on a rock trying to keep our sandwiches out of their reach! It was so funny - Rob was getting really frustrated as every mouthful he took, this horse was trying to pinch it! Never mess with a man and his grub!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Rob doing his river crossingRob doing his river crossing
Rob doing his river crossing

It was surprising how fast the water was flowing and how slippery it was - I would have laughed if he fell in!
Rob and the naughty horseRob and the naughty horse
Rob and the naughty horse

Trying to snatch Rob's sandwich - even I wouldn't dare do that!


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb